Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY tilt shift lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: DIY tilt shift lens Reply with quote

Ive been thinking of building a tilt shift or at least tilt lens as it seems to be an easier undertaking!!

I picked up a Zeiss ikon Dresden kinostar 120mm series three projector lens, I was planning on selling it off but it has some lens separation bubbles on the front element so out the window goes that idea but it has given me a lens to play around with:)

I've read that its better to use a wide angle lens so I'm looking for some advice if its worth using the kinostar, it has a huge image circle which is a plus and if I understand correctly this is a petzval design lens.

I also have a tokina 24mm 2.8 that is in bad condition body wise as an option to use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been my project this week as I've got a bad knee and can't get about as much, so I dragged out a Sigma Superwide2 24 / 2.8 that I'd hacked the Practika bayonet mount off and began experimenting. I posted a picture of it with a lump of roughly hacked foam stuck to the back of it just a few days ago somewhere on the forum. It worked, but it was rough and an experimental freelensing test.
The Mark 2 version is much more sophisticated. Laughing ( I'll post some pictures later on.) I found some lightweight neoprene which I glued in to a tube slightly smaller than the back of the lens so it stretches tightly on to the lens - and it's glued on, and the other end fits tightly over a Canon FD to NEX adapter without gluing. It moves on the NEX adapter so I could test it, then I just held it in place with a wrap of electrical tape. The gap between the lens and the adapter is about 8 mm and the neoprene is flexible enough to move around. It works well.
With the right glue neoprene can be glued permanently and strongly, which is what I'll do for the Mark 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some pretty good designs so far, one that really stood out was using a shower head as it can swivel and tighten into position, it has a very small opening though so I'm on the look out for something wider.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems the joints are quite common, they're called ball joint adaptors but as they are quite big they could probably only be used with projector or bellows lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't bad, obviously you have to hold it in position so it's probably more freelensing without the light leaks than true tilt and shift. But actually, it's not that hard with the NEX. There's also a good bit of sideways movement as well.

This was shot with the Sigma Super-Wide 2 24 / 2.8 wide open and the lens tilted just about as far as the neoprene would go. Everything on the right is blurred and the church wall on the left is pretty good in the mid distance.
I need to get out and test it some more, get used to it. Then perfect it. But I think this 24mm lens has potential.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a DIY tilt lens I have used a tiltable halogen spot. It has a bigger usable free diameter. On my website I have only the first attempt. Second and third one looks a bit better.
But the way to sue a tiltable lamp (halogen, LED) housing is quite popular in Germany.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
For a DIY tilt lens I have used a tiltable halogen spot. It has a bigger usable free diameter. On my website I have only the first attempt. Second and third one looks a bit better.
But the way to sue a tiltable lamp (halogen, LED) housing is quite popular in Germany.

I saw this page while looking for conversions and its a really good job, the images are good too, I was actually thinking of trying the same thing but I'm first going to see if I can find the swivel joints of the right size

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Tilt/shift DIY guide
http://cow.mooh.org/projects/tiltshift/index.html

Bendycam and Plumgercams