Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY Mono String. Blue Peter style
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: DIY Mono String. Blue Peter style Reply with quote

No not sexy underwear, a portable aid to help keep your camera steady. Made in half an hour from readily available bits.

You need:

1x length of cord, anything; washing line, paracord, parcel string. I used the cord from a sports shop 'duffel' type carrier bag. I think tent guy rope is best, its strong and doesn't stretch.
1x 1/4 inch screw for the tripod socket. A camera case screw for example. Mine came off a flash bracket.
1x 20cm length of wood. Dowel etc I used an offcut of seasoned Ash (I make walking sticks)
Some strong thread
Epoxy glue.

Let the photos do the talking:

I made a loop at one end of the string, put a length of glue where it folds over and bind it with strong thread knotting it tight every couple of turns. Make sure the loop is big enough to go round the camera screw but not wide enough to slip off in use.

Cut your dowel to length then drill a hole in each end like this I used a bit exactly the same diameter as the cord.

On the other side, widen the holes a bit, the knots in the cords will go in there.

Thread a length of cord through the holes making a stirrup shape, make sure the cord goes through the enlarged holes first, emerging from the narrow holes. Tie knots at the ends and put a blob of epoxy in the holes where the cords go through. Pull the cord through, forcing the knots into the holes. Trim the cord and fill the hole with epoxy covering the knot too. Keep tension on it until the glue dries, mine takes 5 minutes.

loop the other end of the camera cord through and try it out. Tie the cord at the right length. In this instance I bound the cord like the camera end but i finished it off with a large bead I had, I filled the bead with epoxy. It's not going to come loose any time soon.

Like an idiot I tied mine then realised it wasn't through the stirrup loop so I used a split ring to attach it.

It folds down lovely and fits in the front pocket of your camera bag.

You needn't make a stirrup, I think commercial ones just have a large loop in the cord.

To make it a little more flexible, and easier to adjust for length you could use guy rope tensioner. like this:

enjoy!