Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY macro lens from discarded kit lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: DIY macro lens from discarded kit lens Reply with quote

HI all,

Check out this link to a quick DIY for a real bargain basement macro lens made out of a discarded kit lens! Here is the link:

http://petapixel.com/2012/11/03/turn-an-old-kit-lens-into-a-macro-lens-by-removing-the-front-element/

I knew there was a use for all those AF lenses we don't use anymore! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow hey thats good. I have a Minolta AF kit lens I ought to try it with.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in a different way - replaced front element with front glass from reproduction lens (100mm dia). The lens from 35-70/3.5-5.6 went up to very respectable 350-700 with same aperture (according to camera), but since it was handheld, there was too much light leaking and always only tiny stripe of image in focus Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an easier way. I just rot a lens reversing adapter off eBay. They're really cheap in China and of decent enough quality. I mounted mine to an old 35mm M42 Takumar I had collecting dust in a drawer. Lets just say that it enlarges greater than 1:1.

This trick only works with prime lenses. The lower the focal length, the greater the magnification.