Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Divers of the dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Divers of the dark Reply with quote

C&C most welcome. Thanks!

Divers of the dark:

Last edited by Pontus on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them, especially 1 and 3 because they are decontextualized.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these have a very disturbing quality ! Which I like very much !!! Almost surreal in a way . Nice choice of tones for the subject . And the askew framing adds to the feeling . Only nitpick I have is the incomplete round knobs on the bottom of #3 but the subject is interesting enough that it doesn't overwhelm me .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 the most. It has the greatest distance between the face and the mask, so the face is in clear focus but the mask is less so. That places a greater emphasis on the human subject and, to me, forces a greater connection and emotive response to the person behind the glass.

The framing in #1 is great, but I'm not a huge fan of the framing in #3. I think it's a combination of the geometric shape (both other masks have curved shapes) and the details cut off the the bottom (the aforementioned knobs.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the critique! Do you think this version of #3 is an improvement? I could do a larger crop showing the knobs but that would take away from the intimacy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very mysterious serie with great B&W rendering, I love it all! If I have to choose one, it will be definitively the #2, for the same reason as David, perfect framing & focus Very Happy .....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I agree with Orio Very Happy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I want to print and frame these pictures. Before I send them in, since I don't have a calibrated monitor, would you print the pictures as they are or do they need a brightness adjustment? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I think I want to print and frame these pictures. Before I send them in, since I don't have a calibrated monitor, would you print the pictures as they are or do they need a brightness adjustment? Thanks in advance!

I think that they are great pictures with a sense of mystery and a "dark" mood. Printed large I think that the three would make a nice triptych.

I personally would increase the brightness, lift the shadows and, maybe, increase the contrast. But that would be my taste and these are your pictures. Why don't you try different edits and get small prints for each ? You can then decide which you like best before printing at a larger size - if that is what you are going to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My taste coincides with sichko, I also like the series. A triptych on the wall!

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do prefer your recrop of three much more than the original. It had better subject focus.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started from scratch, wanted to see if a break would make me see the pictures in a different way? The images turned out quite similar but not quite. Any last minute suggestions before I send them in for printing and framing? I'm thinking white frames and white paspartout, size about A4. Thanks!

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201211/big_5030__DSC0560_3_1.jpg]
[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two "bonus" pictures that I just processed: