Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 25/1,4 and a Distagon 18/2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco, Rob welcome to the club, it's a great pleasure to see you here.

Marco cavina wrote:

Oberkochen folks whisper that the lens didn't reach the production stage mostly due to it's bulk (more or less 1kg, I was told), unsuitable, uncording to the management, for fast reportage actions... Of course several Canon users take advantage of fast lenses of the same weight class (50/1,0 L, 85/1,2 L) without complaining too much about what, but this is it.

That makes a lot of sense. 1kg sounds hugely impractical. For example, Canon FD 24/1.4 L is only 430gr, I'd think that IQ is decent too Wink Rob, is your lens ~ 1kg indeed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the welcomes! And Marco, it's a pleasure to have you here!

So I didn't get my roll shot completely, but I found some previous shots I've taken with the 18 while I was traveling Europe this summer. I didn't take many, and I can't recall the aperture on the shots, but here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Orio wrote:
No, there's no logical reason in my mind to have a private sale preferred to a safe museum structure...

agreed in theory
but then is there a Zeiss museum, and if there is one, how safe is it, who is the owner?

I still shudder when I think of Hoya closing down the big Pentax museum outside Tokyo in 2009. Where did all go?
So after all what matters most is a responsible person

And that's why I'd rather keep the lens in this group of people who really are dedicated and deeply reverent

Better a known devil than an unknown god Smile

Could you please just accept that you're never getting these lenses?

I think it's clear; museum or family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. 1kg sounds hugely impractical. For example, Canon FD 24/1.4 L is only 430gr, I'd think that IQ is decent too Wink Rob, is your lens ~ 1kg indeed?

Yes, the 25 is really heavy. When I was first given the lenses, and up until now, I rarely used the 25 because of how heavy and bulky it was.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
A question on the 25. There are 2 wide rubber rings on the body. Which one do you use for focussing? Does the otherone move as well?

Both move together Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Marco.

I'd say many people have learned through your website which is full of great analysis and interesting details

this is absolutely fascinating post.

I think this post should be archived as a post of all posts on this forum

tf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you rob!
The cat image is very nice, whow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Marco, you name has been mentioned more than a few times in the past.

Rob, if possible, give us some measurement of the lens - weight, length, filter size etc. when time permit. As you will probably be the only person that we know having this lens, any info you provide here will become a record or some kind. So pardon us if we at time might sound too anxious to find out more on these two lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that I updated the article about "cute Zeiss DFR and DDR lenses" linked to this thread, with some interesting upgrades (pictures and/or text and/or sketches) about:

Zeiss Krauss Anastigmat 110mm f/8 with Protar formula (1896)
Zeiss Apo-Tessar 30cm f/9 wartime (1943)
the optical section and data about the Oberkochen Blasennkammerobjektiv S-Distagon for CERN bubble-camber
the optical section of the microlithography S-Planar 25mm f/1,6 and 50mm f/1,6 + a batch of others.

Thank you.

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Marco, I shall read it again, I enjoyed it so much the first time, so many lenses I would love to have but can only dream about. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fascinating insights here! Huge thanks to the new guys for coming along and sharing your knowledge and experience Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Sorry for my absence from the post. It's been a busy week and I haven't had much time to sit still. I promise I'll get the pictures from the lenses uploaded soon as well. I want some nice shots to show off Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fortunate that you also likes to take photos. Use it, and if you need the money, you could sell them. Let beat those Leica camera price. Very Happy

Interesting story!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberryrob wrote:
Hey everyone. Sorry for my absence from the post. It's been a busy week and I haven't had much time to sit still. I promise I'll get the pictures from the lenses uploaded soon as well. I want some nice shots to show off Razz

Take your time, we're not going anywhere Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Rob to the forum and thanks for posting these rare images.
I am amazed by these two precious pieces of photographic engineering.

I will be a keen follower of this terrific post

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my interpretation of this topic (thanks to Rob who granted the use of his pictures), published some minutes ago:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_Distagon_1,4-25_2,8_18/00_pag.htm

unfortunately this is the Italian language version (the English is coming asap) but the illustrations speak by themselves.

Best regards,

Marco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco cavina wrote:
Here is my interpretation of this topic (thanks to Rob who granted the use of his pictures), published some minutes ago:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_Distagon_1,4-25_2,8_18/00_pag.htm

unfortunately this is the Italian language version (the English is coming asap) but the illustrations speak by themselves.

I don't read Italian, but whatever you have there in the link is sure great. You have extra photos of the lens too. You are fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! It's great to have you here, both of you! Very Happy

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google translated the article flawless, extraordinary piece of history !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread becomes famous: http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/25/grandson-of-zeiss-lens-designer-was-left-a-holy-grail-of-zeiss-lenses/

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just through the door back from the US visiting family, I'd like to also welcome Rob and my friend Marco!

Amy amazing piece of optical history and for me, a Zeiss fan since long and member of the Zeiss Historical Society a feast to say the least!

I full agree with Orio, these wonderful lenses should be preserved and ideally should not disappear in some collectors vault.

Great that you have no plans on selling them Rob!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really enjoy the figures of these two lenses, and waiting for the English version... Awesome. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member here for a while, but only became aware of this thread from the PetaPixel post. Just wanted to add my welcome to both Rob and Marco. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been quoted by the official Carl Zeiss page on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/carlzeisslenses?ref=stream

EDIT: on Twitter, too:
https://twitter.com/CarlZeissLenses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this great thread for anyone who missed it first time out.