Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 2.8/28 Flektogon 4/25 image comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Distagon 2.8/28 Flektogon 4/25 image comparison Reply with quote

This is not a real test, so that's why here.
I just wanted to show you, how differently can two lenses render the same scene.
There is a change of framing but I think the comparison is still possible.
You will see the Distagon 2.8/28 as a more modern lens, stronger contrast, strong microcontrast and consequent 3D effect. Flektogon, a lens more old fashioned, high resolvance but low contrast, completely different image rendition.
I think that the comparison is somehow enlightening.

_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice example. Thanks, Orio!
I think the leaves in the centre of the photos particularly show the difference in the 3D-effect.

It it somewhat typical that modern lenses produce a much higher contrast.

Very nicely shown...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slight differences in exposure can make a world of difference. Inspecting those photos, especially the leaves, on my old and slightly too dark screen, the Flek beats the Distagon by a wide margin. A lot of the micro contrast in the Distagon shadows is lost and emerges in the Flek shot. If I had to choose between these two lenses on the basis of what I now see on my screen, I'd most certainly take the Flek.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the top one is the distagon?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I think the leaves in the centre of the photos particularly show the difference in the 3D-effect.
It it somewhat typical that modern lenses produce a much higher contrast.

Agreed on both points.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Very slight differences in exposure can make a world of difference.

Yes, but although the Flek exposure is a bit longer, I think that for most part the impression of higher density in this Distagon shot is caused by the higher contrast, because in the frame there are more dark areas than highlighted areas.

vilva wrote:
Inspecting those photos, especially the leaves, on my old and slightly too dark screen, the Flek beats the Distagon by a wide margin. A lot of the micro contrast in the Distagon shadows is lost and emerges in the Flek shot. If I had to choose between these two lenses on the basis of what I now see on my screen, I'd most certainly take the Flek.
Veijo

Believe it or not, when I saw the Flek image, I thought "this one will please Veijo" Smile Because it has some of the qualities that I have noticed you appreciate in older lenses.

I think that the Distagon images are going to look much better on slides. Slide photography and projection is what this lens was made for, in the early 80s.
Funnily, the lower contrast and high resolvance of the Flektogon suits the digital age better, because they look better on a computer screen, that has inferior dynamic range compared to slide projection. A lot of the shadows detail, that will surface from the Distagon image in projection, gets lost on screen. But once projected, the Distagon image will pop out of the screen, while the Flektogon image will look more flat.
Printing-wise, instead, it is possible that the Flektogon image looks better on an average or even good home printer, always for the same reason (ability to resolve detail in shadow areas).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I take it the top one is the distagon?

Yes, top is Distagon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention: Distagon images are taken with the 5D, while Flektogon images are taken with the 400D (because the lens does not clear 5D's mirror).

This of course means a couple of advantages for the Flektogon:

- better corner quality
- higher relative resolution

and of course it explains why the FOV of the Flektogon images is so much narrower.