Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dismantle a Tamron 01F ...and clean it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, are you still looking for the measurement?

I have a 01F with the hazy element and I'm about to try to disassemble it for the first time.

I measured 19mm +- 0.02mm using a micrometer from the rearmost point of the rear element retainer ring, down along the edge of the barrel to the collar adjacent to the aperture wheel.

If it weren't for this thread I would have leapt straight in and possibly ended up with the same problem..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awa54 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm gonna dig up this zombie thread again....

I just got an 01F that actually has clean glass, *but* mine arrived with the element unit slightly loose and it had backed out of the body threads to the point of interfering with the aperture mechanism on a Minolta MD Adaptall 2 mount. Does anyone have one of these that is in original (never disassembled) condition that they can measure the element holder position on, so that I can be certain that I have the elements correctly positioned in this teleconverter?

Thanks in advance!

I am having the same problem as the person above. But mine was caused by taking the lens apart.
Now that I put it together again I notice that there is tube (coloured yellow in the picture below) that can adjust the position of the lensgroup in the converter.
I am rather sure that this tube is no longer in it's original position.

Geofferiah wrote:
Geofferiah wrote:
Hi, are you still looking for the measurement?

I have a 01F with the hazy element and I'm about to try to disassemble it for the first time.

I measured 19mm +- 0.02mm using a micrometer from the rearmost point of the rear element retainer ring, down along the edge of the barrel to the collar adjacent to the aperture wheel.

If it weren't for this thread I would have leapt straight in and possibly ended up with the same problem..

I appreciate the help a lot but I honestly do not really understand how that 19mm is measured.

So my question is still the same as the one "awa54" asked above. But I'll ask it in a (hopefully) more simple manner:
Could somebody, with an original, untouched converter, measure the distance between the end of the lensgroup and the mount-surface?
In the picture its the (rather lousy drawn) blue arrow between the red lines.
I hope my question and the added lines to the picture are clear enough.

Thanks in advance for the help.

[/url]
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.40mm according to my digital calipers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
13.40mm according to my digital calipers.

13,40 !!! that's very different from what I am getting. My (non-digital) calipers are giving a distance of about 9,75mm.

I can hardly imagine that I changed the place of that adjustment tube (locking ring probably is a better word for it) by that much.

Just to be sure: that 13,40 mm, is that the (vertikal) distance between the chrome-base of the TC (the 01F) and the end of the lensgroup?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
Just to be sure: that 13,40 mm, is that the (vertikal) distance between the chrome-base of the TC (the 01F) and the end of the lensgroup?

My apologies, I understand the measurement you mean now. Rolling Eyes

It is 9.25mm. I bought my 01F new many years ago and it has never been dismantled. Apart from a few specks of dust the optics are as clear as a bell! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. A correction of half a mm sounds very plausable.
That's easy to correct.

The biggest probem however is that I wasn't able to clean that 2nd element.
It has an even haze all over. And whatever I tried I just could not get it clear again. At the end I simply gave up.

BTW: it's very easy to unlock that 1st ring.
Just put the lens-group upside down in a bit of Isopropyl alcohol and you can unscrew it with the slightest of ease after a few seconds.

Isopropyl alcohol, also known as Isopropanol, IPA or 2-propanol, is also the best stuff to clean aperture-blades.
Every DIY lens-repairperson should have a bottle of it.