Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disassembling the rear element group of Yashica 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Disassembling the rear element group of Yashica 50/1.4 Reply with quote

My friend is trying to disassemble and clean a Yashica ML 50/1.4 and he managed to do it all, but the rear element group, which is enclosed in a metal frame with no screws, depicted here:

Is there a tool for disassembling things like that and what's the usual way of doing it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess silence means that nobody has any clue on how to approach this?

Sorry if the pics aren't very explanatory, but I guess they show what matters. He says he tried forcing the metal rings out by turning with no success.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically we need sharper pictures Smile

That 'slit' running through the middle, does it unscrew there?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Basically we need sharper pictures Smile

That 'slit' running through the middle, does it unscrew there?

Thanks for the reply. Smile

He said he tried "unscrewing" it there at the middle, forcing it as hard as possible by hands, but it didn't budge. Hopefully I'll add better pics soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassembling lenses is not that hard, especially standard lenses are easy (at least the most of them). You're sure there's not a screw ring at one of the sides?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a couple of times similar glued lens block I think no way to open it at home safely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would search if I could find glue traces in that slit.
If I remember right, I could open someting like that after scratching the glue away - with some force.
To get more force, I like to use a bicycle tube - best with your hands only. With much higher risk of damage with two pipe wrenches - but this way you could damage event the lens itself - could break.

Probably you could use acetone to open up the glue?
But there is the risk, that the acetone goes into that group, and fogging a lens there inside - but without dissolving the glue - total damage of the lens.

Or you could try to break the glue with heat - but I think that is risky too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

Or you could try to break the glue with heat - but I think that is risky too.

That is precisely what he did and managed to open it up. He heated it up with a lighter and it screwed off with no hassle.

Thanks all for chiming in. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think this is going to be a near impossible task due to the japanese tradition of gluing elements together. I have CLA'd the 28mm ML version and I was also not able to reach some places due to glued elements.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been disassembling rear part of Cosinon 50mm 1.4 wich is similiar. Just took bottom part (picture 2) in one hand, up part in another and unscrewed it. Not much force needed and no glue inside.