Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disappearing Doha
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Disappearing Doha Reply with quote

Here are some shots of the old Doha that I have known for 20 years which is now rapidly being ripped down and replaced with malls full of designer boutiques or ersatz souqs awash with coffee shops from leading chains.

All shot with a Mamiya C220, 80mm lens, and Fuji Reala film.

Feline dreams:

Tailor's shop:

Communal kitchen:

Top cat:

Transportation:

The watch repair kiosk

Demolition zone (everything behind the green fence is being demolished, the building zone covers many hectares that were the heart of the old city):

Workers and the old architecture. They must be planning to flatten these blocks, too, to fit in with the new-look city.

Old house - no doubt these all need bulldozing but they do have a certain character, and where will the people who live in them go?

Here's what it looks like in the courtyard of these old, worker occupied, houses:

Well, that was a morning's outing around what remains of the city centre - the bit the tourists don't see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting series! Thanks!
Love the first one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very informative, Paul. I can appreciate these sorts of behind-the-scenes glimpses. I'm hesitant to mention a favorite photo, but I really like the one of the cats. I can tell by ear and body positions that there's a dominance challenge going on. This tension which overlays an otherwise calm looking scene makes for a great dynamic.

So. You've been posting quite a few images from your Mamiya C220 lately. It appears to me at least that you've become quite comfortable with your new camera. Your images show it. There's nothing contrived or accidental looking about them. Instead they appear to be thoughtful compositions for the most part, and I'd have to say that you're handling that Mamiya's square format very well now. I think that it would be very tough cropping at least half of the above images into rectangles without losing something important to the composition.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent reportage.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting reportage!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incredible series, I am speachless ... just wow !

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly looks like India Laughing Nice series!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Built by Indians and lived in by Indians (and Bangladeshis and Pakistanis and Afghans and Nepalis ... anyway, South-east Asians). But it was never quite as squalid as the equivalent places I've seen in India.

Anyway, now the Qataris want their city to look like a cross between Las Vegas and an Arab theme park.

Here's a slightly bizarre view - do other places use their skyscrapers as notice boards? This is Doha during the Asian Cup football. The bottom part of the tower on the left (with the guy on it) is actually being used as a screen to project TV coverage onto. Sorry for the crappy image quality - I don't have much luck scanning photos taken at night - I'm not sure if it's my exposure or my scanning that's at fault.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

Here's a slightly bizarre view - do other places use their skyscrapers as notice boards?

When I visited Japan in 1983, there were buildings in downtown Tokyo that were using their sides as super large video screens. I clearly recall seeing a Boy George video (I'll Tumble For Ya) on one building as I was walking through one area. Sheesh.

So, in Japan at least, it's a bit old hat. Also reminds me of the old Harrison Ford movie, Blade Runner (1982), where this same sort of technology was being suggested as part of a near future.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTREMELY interesting reportage-type images! GREAT work indeed.