Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Digital cameras and Manual Focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Digital cameras and Manual Focus lenses Reply with quote

I am NOT looking to start a long time discussion of the benefits of digital or film.

In the Nikon world Bjorn Roerslett is a legendary "tester" of nikkors. He has found that some old nikkors behave better on digital than they did on film and vice versa. The ratings on his web site reflect those differences, since he has rated most of the lenses on film and then on digital. I cannot comment since I was Exakta/Oly in my film days.

Have any of you found similar changes and if so what are they?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not even beginning to know much about optics, but I wonder if it's not more than that

The frequency (light wavelength) response of a sensor is completely different from film, and I wonder if that may account for some difference, in the same way that coated optics affect lenses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He has found that some old nikkors behave better on digital than they did on film and vice versa

I don't believe a good lens on film is not good on digital. Problem of chromatic aberration and angle of incidence for wide lens will be corrected in next generation of sensor but don't have to do with the lens.

The size of the grain is the limiting factor on film. On this scan you can see letters are deformed by coarse grain & not by the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find shots can get a little soft at f16 on digital compared with film but I rarely go that low.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorn Roerslett in his evaluation never refers to the crop format issue, rather speaks extensively of problems like CA and purple fringing, no doubt related to the famous "sensor bleed" issue, a problem that is -obviously- non-existent with film cameras.

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300/4.5 pre-AI Nikkor (the one with the fixed tripod socket collar) is ABSOLUTELY better than the 2.5 rating he gives it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess story is same than 200mm f4 pre-ai that is also a nice lens really and on many forum people says not good at all. I love mine pretty much.