Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Different variants of takumar 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Different variants of takumar 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

This is my first post on mflenses so correct me if I'm putting this in the wrong place, anyways, I recently scored two variants of the takumar 55mm f1.8 in m42 for 5$ each, and I'm wondering what input you guys have on which variant is the better lens. One is labelled "Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55 4686595", it's got an all metal construction with the sort of hexagonal metal bolt type focus an apeture rings and the inscription under the auto/manual tab reads 37101, and the other is labelled "SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55 7980558" with all metal construction and a plastic grip on the focus ring, it's under auto/manual tab reading 37108. Any input you guys have from personally using these lenses or anything you know about which one is an older/newer model is helpful. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no specific optical difference between the versions - optically the same. One possible point of difference might be the coatings - the later lens might be considered to have better coatings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks. just want to check that there wasn't any significant difference between different lenses in the line

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC is the newer one and the last Takumar version. The next version was the SMC Pentax 55mm f/1.8 with a K mount.
The Super Multi Coated version was made inmediately before and is a bit heavier because of the full metal construction.
Optically identical AFAIK, the difference is that the SMC allows open aperture metering in the Spotmatic cameras (check the back of the lens).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is an extra bit in the back for open aperture metering on later Spotmatic bodies.

Should not affect its use on anything but one of those late model Spotmatics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think both of those have the aperture coupling for the Spotmatic F and ES camera bodies. I'll check my copy of Gerjan's book to confirm. As noted the SMC could have slightly better coatings as Asahi was improving those.

Congrats Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabessius wrote:
Optically identical AFAIK, the difference is that the SMC allows open aperture metering in the Spotmatic cameras (check the back of the lens).
Nope. Both Super-Multi-Coated and SMC Takumars feature the aperture coupling. The previous generation - labeled Super Takumar - doesn't support the coupling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the formula is unchanged from the Takumar, Auto-Takumar, Super Takumar, through S-M-C and SMC and finally K, there is no M or A version, the coatings were often updated without notice, Minolta also did quiet updates to coatings.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1.8.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-55mm-F1.8-Lens.html

The 55/2 is actually the 55/1.8 with an f2 aperture plate.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F2.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Cabessius wrote:
Nope. Both Super-Multi-Coated and SMC Takumars feature the aperture coupling. The previous generation - labeled Super Takumar - doesn't support the coupling.

Not exactly, some late Super Takumars supported Open-aperture Metering, my Super Takumar 55/2 has it, and so does this lens 4sale here:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/fs-pentax-super-takumar-55mm-f-1-8-w-open-aperture-metering-lug.119406/