Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Different Kind of Subject - Pentax 645
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Different Kind of Subject - Pentax 645 Reply with quote

This is a bit different from my "nature" type images.

This took a lot of waiting around, and coming back, for a few
hours duration. Finally the light was right. The repetitive nature,
and the sharp angles appealed to me in a simplistic way.

Sometimes "simple" works out to at least a shot that can
be posted.

This has been "hanging around" for a while, never found
time to scan it. It is not as sharp after the scan as it is on the
transparency, of course. Confused

I don't know how many of you have the Pentax 645, but I want
to say that the ergonomics - the way it fits in the hand - are superb.
It's really a very good camera with a good design, in my opinion.

Angular Momentum
Pentax 645
Pentax-A 45/2.8
Provia
f:16 and 1/60th
V700

I rotated the image, and it seems to create more "pop" to me, although it looks rather odd compared to the normal image. Smile
Angular Momentum 2

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting set, like both versions, and the colors are marvelous! I am a fan of your medium format work, and this Pentax is giving some great
results!

Thanks for sharing! Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now I really never expected that!

They are both amazing. I really like images that create some kind of physical response in me, and the second one did so, more than the first. It feels somehow 3D, and seems to come out of the photo at you!

Really great, I enjoyed those Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these create a physical response, and wonder. For me, perhaps even the Edenic snake? Excellent examples of naturalistic abstractions.

I've decided to hell with 35mm, I'll save up for a 645 Pentax.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive, Larry!

Once the title read, it took me a while to figure out what the subject really was.

Excellent composition, great idea.
I like both, but I do prefer the first one.

Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laurence,
excellent abstract/geometric composition and color matching. You've got an eye.
Marty.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb images, simply stunning!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 - perfect idea, I like it Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very impressive! I really dig simple approach with minimal clutter, great shot!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. The rotated one defines a "wall of water". Wink

Jules

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Larry. Actually I prefer the original although both are excellent.

I almost bought a complete 645N with two backs a few weeks ago. I went back and forth quite a few times as to if I was going to get it or not. But decided to save the money in the end. It wasn't cheap I have been thinking about one for a year.
My cousin had first a 645 when they were new then a 645N. He told me he loved the 645 until he got the 645N. I can't remember all the differences but he said he couldn't believe how bright the view finder was in the N. Thats not to take away from the 645, he said it was a great camera.

Your showing all these nice shots has me thinking about one again. You are doing some nice work with that camera.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning, Larry. No 1 has a quality of its own but the second one stands out like a wormhole in space.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wonderful. Both compositions are ultra strong. Number two seems to contain even more three-d.
It was worth to wait for the right light! Something I still have to learn - patience.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Never expected this much response, so that is nice.

The Pentax 645 bodies are as cheap as they'll ever get, I think. A
good one can be had for $100-$125. Shocked The 645N can be
had for about $450 or so.

The auction site usually ends at "overpriced" amounts; the
BGN-rated cameras at KEH are usually cheaper, and they also
give you the option of sending it back if something is wrong.

Lenses are very cheap as well, though not as cheap as 2 years ago.
But only about $20 difference between now and then.

The 45/2.8 wide angle can be less than $200.
The 75/2.8 normal lens around $100. VERY sharp.
The 120/4 macro around $200. Sharp and a good
multi-purpose lens.
The 150/3.5 around $100. This a STEAL for a supremely
sharp lens.

The big transparencies from 4.5x6 are really nice to work with.

L

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The composition is OVER the equipment!!!

SUPERB!

tf

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
WOW! The composition is OVER the equipment!!!
SUPERB!
tf

Thanks Tri! Well, the equipment is pretty darn good, so that must mean the image is also good, at least in your eyes. Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, but sincerely I didn't expect anything less from you Wink

Did you crossprocess them btw?

And about Pentax 645 I have one and it's great also because I can mount on it all my Pentacon Six lenses (so I don't have the need to duplicate systems), Arsat 30mm included (hint!hint! to the nature photographers Wink)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Great shots, but sincerely I didn't expect anything less from you Wink
Did you crossprocess them btw?
And about Pentax 645 I have one and it's great also because I can mount on it all my Pentacon Six lenses (so I don't have the need to duplicate systems), Arsat 30mm included (hint!hint! to the nature photographers Wink)

I'm not sure what crossprocess means? Perhaps you want to know if I altered them? I did alter the original digitized (scanned) images with some saturation increase and cropping.

Yes, the Pentacon 6 lenses are wonderful for their compatibility with a good adapter. I've used, in the past, the Vega 12B, the Vega 26B, and the Flektogon 50/4.

I have been tempted to acquire the Arsat 30mm lens. I've bought other things though, and will have to save more money to make the purchase. I have seen where it can be corrected for the curvature in Photoshop and other image programs. A NICE very wide angle lens. Do you have some samples, Alessandro? Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. These are amongst your absolute best Larry.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Amazing. These are amongst your absolute best Larry.

Ditto

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in Pentax MF, not just because I am a Pentaxian, but also, like A G says, it can adapt P6 lenses, and I now have the entire range of CZJ P6 lenses, except the 300/4 (MC Flektogon 50/4, Flektogon 65/2.8, MC Biometar 80/2.8, Biometar 120/2.8, Sonnar 180/2.Cool, and the prices of 645s are very very sweet Smile Funny, I'm accumulating more and more medium format cameras (Pentacon Six + 2 junk bodies for spare parts, Kiev-60 in the mail, Bower-X folding camera, the beat up Yashica-Mat I just picked up today....)

And of course, I love that picture, and the rotated version (like pop art!)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I'm also interested in Pentax MF, not just because I am a Pentaxian, but also, like A G says, it can adapt P6 lenses, and I now have the entire range of CZJ P6 lenses, except the 300/4 (MC Flektogon 50/4, Flektogon 65/2.8, MC Biometar 80/2.8, Biometar 120/2.8, Sonnar 180/2.Cool, and the prices of 645s are very very sweet Smile Funny, I'm accumulating more and more medium format cameras (Pentacon Six + 2 junk bodies for spare parts, Kiev-60 in the mail, Bower-X folding camera, the beat up Yashica-Mat I just picked up today....)

And of course, I love that picture, and the rotated version (like pop art!)

Go for it! You won't be disappointed, especially with those sweet lenses. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Go for it! You won't be disappointed, especially with those sweet lenses. Shocked

Thanks, I very well may! And if I do, I know I'll have the master here to ask questions of Very Happy