Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Differences between 50mm f/1.4 Takumar lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Differences between 50mm f/1.4 Takumar lenses. Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to get myself started on the wonders of MF lenses on DSLR. I searched around the internet and found about this forum.

Well, I have a simple question regarding the Takumar lenses. I've heard a lot about the 50mm f/1.4, highly regarded too, so I thought in buying one, but as far I understand there are at least 3 of them (at least that I found about), which are:

An older Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4, a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and a Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4.

I understand that between the Super-Tak and the S-M-C the number of elements and groups is reduced and added the multi coating to the lens on the later one. But the Pentax SMC I can't find any information comparing to the other two, aside the rubber grip focus ring.

Could you point me out to any differences betwen the Pentax SMC and the other two?

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

PS: Is the Pentax SMC compatible with M42 to EOS adapters? I own an EOS 1000D.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 versions o M42 50/1.4 Takumars:

1. Super Takumar 50/1.4 - old optical formula (8 elements, no thorium), single-coated, 6 aperture blades

2. Super Takumar 50/1.4 - new optical formula (7 elements, thorium), single-coated (later copies can have experimantal MC with 3-4 layers), 6 aperture blades

3. Super Multi Coated Takumar 50/1.4 - optical formula identical to #2, multi-coated (7 layers), 8 aperture blades

4. SMC Takumar 50/1.4 - optical formula identical to #2, multi-coated (7 layers), 8 aperture blades, rubber focusing ring

as for #1 and #2, there is no consensus - some users prefer #1, others #2

as for #3 and #4, some users prefer metal focusing ring of #3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell if a Super Takumar 50/1.4 lens is type 1 (8 element) or type 2 (7 element) by looking at it ?

Is there an obvious difference in the appearance (not counting the potential radioactive yellowing)?

Is there a serial # range to go by?

Thanks
-Ted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
There are 4 versions o M42 50/1.4 Takumars:

1. Super Takumar 50/1.4 - old optical formula (8 elements, no thorium), single-coated, 6 aperture blades

2. Super Takumar 50/1.4 - new optical formula (7 elements, thorium), single-coated (later copies can have experimantal MC with 3-4 layers), 6 aperture blades

3. Super Multi Coated Takumar 50/1.4 - optical formula identical to #2, multi-coated (7 layers), 8 aperture blades

4. SMC Takumar 50/1.4 - optical formula identical to #2, multi-coated (7 layers), 8 aperture blades, rubber focusing ring

as for #1 and #2, there is no consensus - some users prefer #1, others #2

as for #3 and #4, some users prefer metal focusing ring of #3

Thanks for the information. So basically the later 2 are pretty much the same optically.. That's what I wanted to know, since I'm bidding for a SMC Takumar on ebay. And I did it by mistake, I was a little worried.

Traveller99 wrote:
How can you tell if a Super Takumar 50/1.4 lens is type 1 (8 element) or type 2 (7 element) by looking at it ?

Is there an obvious difference in the appearance (not counting the potential radioactive yellowing)?

Is there a serial # range to go by?

Thanks
-Ted

I don't know much, but I think that the serial number range determines which version it is. Also the newer lens can be identified from its predesor by observing where the "IR" mark is. If it is inside 4, it is the original 8 element design if it is outside the 4, it is the later 7 element design.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the camera side of the Auto/Man diaphram switch is engraved a number.

1. on Super 8/7, 358 or 879
2. Super 7/6 (1), 378
3. Super 7/6 (2), 37801
4. S-M-C 7/6, 37902 or 7249
5. SMC 7/6, 37908

The second number given is the Honeywell number (Honeywell was exclusive US distributor).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent information. I can add :

1- The S.T. V. 2 (7 elements) has more radiactive last rear element than the S-M-C and SMC ones. That noted by two facts. a) the rear element is more small (near) 1 mm in the S.T than in the S-M-C, and b) the F/1,4 white point in the aperture ring is nearest to the F/2 point in the S.T. than in the S-M-C and SMC.

From that you can see that the S.T. V. 2 are, generally, more yellowish than the S-M-C and SMC ones.

Anyways, the real aperture in the S-M-C is F/1,52.

2- The white point at the F/1,4 in the aperture ring only is present in the S.T. V.2. Not in the S.T. 8 elements nor in the S-M-C or SMC.

3- The latest SMC have newer coating than the S-M-C, and it can traslate in better contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it shown that the old 8-element version has no thorium/radioactivity?

Some Super Takumars (such as 55mm/2.0) have thorium but not enough to yellow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it in my mind now, but there were two or three tests in the net with the radioactivity of the 8 elements takumar among others lenses. And, in the other side, I didn't read any test with the 8 elements takumar among the lenses with radioactivity.

I think that the quid is demostrate that the 8 elements has a thorium (or radioactive) element/s before try to demostrate that doesn't have one.

And, in this way I ask to you where is shown that the 8 elements takumar has a thorium or radioactive element.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the early 8 element version (as can be seen by the location of the IR mark - there is no part # on the A/M switch on mine, but the rear element also protrudes the metal which is another indicator that I read about elsewhere).

I can assure you that my 8 element 50/1.4 has no visible yellowing.

I also have the Super Takamar 35/2.0 - Thorium version. My copy is not very yellow at all - but is very very slightly yellow in comparison to my 8-element 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Can you share pics taken with the 8 elements takumar?

I only saw a very few ones, and seems to be a very interesant lens with a pictorial touch.

Anyway, thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hadn't used the lens in quite a while and I don't have my older photos indexed according to lenses so all I can do is grab a couple of new snaps in my back yard. I have limited time and Canon 5D is in the repair shop so, here are some quick test snaps with Olympus EP-2 Micro Four thirds digital, 2x crop) with no post processing:

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 wide open at F/1,4 :

For comparison, Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 wide open at F/1.7 :

For comparison, Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/1.4 :

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 stopped down to F/2.8 :

For comparison, Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 stopped down to F/2.8 :

For comparison, Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/2.8 :

For comparison, Pentax-M 50mm F/2.0 stopped down to F/2.8 :

( ... to be continued )

Last edited by Traveller99 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-element Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 at F/5.6 :

For comparison, Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 stopped down to F/5.6 :

For comparison, Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/5.6 :

For comparison, Pentax-M 50mm F/2.0 stopped down to F/5.6:

(... to be continued )

Last edited by Traveller99 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Crops :

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 wide open at F/1,4 :

Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 wide open at F/1.7:

Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/1.4 :

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 at F/2.8 :

Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 at F/2.8:

Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/2.8 :

Pentax-M 50mm F/2.0 at F/2.8 :

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more 100% crops...

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 at F/5.6 :

Konica Hexanon 50mm F/1.7 at F/5.6:

Canon Leica Screw Mount 50mm F/1.2 at F/5.6 :

Pentax-M 50mm F/2.0 at F/5.6 :

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should throw in some at F/2 too:

8-element Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 at F/2.0

Canon LSM 50mm F/1.2 at F/2.0:

Konica 50mm F/1.7 at F/2.0:

Pentax-M 50mm F/2.0 at F/2.0 :

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that Konica is a performer! Surprisingly sharp! Like the bokeh on the Tak more though.

Thanks for the great test images!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The konica rendering can't surprize because it's known as one of the best 50 mm lenses (especially if it's the oldest 1,7).

Great 8 elements S.T. rendering. If I find one (cheap and in good condition), I will get it

The S.T. 1,4 V.1 and the miranda 1,4, both have 8 elements. The same schame? The same lens?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely setting for bokeh test. Nice lens comparison. Topic revived.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here there are some resources, for "archival" purposes:

1) similar topic here on fmlenses about the differences - a lot - between 8 and 7 elements Takumars:
http://forum.mflenses.com/difference-between-8-element-super-takumar-1-4-50-and-7-t13661.html

2) my test of the Takumar 8 elements vs the 7 elements (and Contax Makro, Minolta MD, Olympus OM, Pentax M Macro), with test chart crops at - almost - all apertures:
http://www.addicted2light.com/2012/12/08/battle-of-the-50s-contax-60-vs-minolta-vs-olympus-vs-pentax-takumars/

3) the wild differences in deph of field and color balance between the 7 and the 8 elements version:
http://www.addicted2light.com/2013/07/08/battle-of-the-50s-an-update-on-the-pentax-takumar-war/

BTW, I found only one reference about the radioactivity of the old 8 elements, and it was in an article on luminous-landscape. I guess the author was mistaken, because everyone else says that the radioactive one is the 7 elements (but I've no data to support this).