Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Difference between Epson R-D1 and R-D1S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Difference between Epson R-D1 and R-D1S Reply with quote

Is there any?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Epson's ads, R-D1s has the following features than R-D1>

1) able to record Jpeg & Raw at the same time
2) able to choose "film" depending on the scene
3) can set Adobe RGB
4) x16 enlargement for viewing on LCD
5) add more functionalities for quick view
6) add mode of reducing noise for very long exposure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Koji.
That is now another dream camera of mine Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Koji.
That is now another dream camera of mine Rolling Eyes

Of course. I also dream of it. Wink But it's so expensive... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji has the correct list.
There is a firmware update for the R D1 to make it the same as R D1s.
Klaus installed it for my RD1 before he posted it to me.

This camera seems expensive yes. The fact is once you have one you will orphan your DSLR for an undetermined amount of time Laughing
I say undetermined because I don't know when I will adopt mine back into use.
If any of us sell a few spare lenses or in my case some Medium Format gear that are seldom used.
We can get this amazing camera. Last check found used ones going between 800-1000 EUROS.
Steves camera in LA will provide support in the US for 10years. I think there is also support in the UK and for sure Japan. And of course thru Epson.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
According to Epson's ads, R-D1s has the following features than R-D1>

1) able to record Jpeg & Raw at the same time
2) able to choose "film" depending on the scene
3) can set Adobe RGB
4) x16 enlargement for viewing on LCD
5) add more functionalities for quick view
6) add mode of reducing noise for very long exposure

As Andy already mentioned, the difference between a RD-1 and RD-1s is purely software! Confusing enough the Software version for the RD-1 and RD-1s are DIFFERENTLY named (V2.0 versus V1.1 - if I remember correctly, so if you buy a RD-1s it shows V1.1 but is identical to V2.0 for RD-1), although IDENTICAL in functionality. Mechanically etc. the bodies are identical except the name tag.

THIS is the official EPSON list:
<<quote>>
Below is a list of new functionality you can expect from the RD1 firmware upgrade
- Pictures displayed on the LCD screen can be viewed at a greater magnification rate: Jpeg from x10 to x16 and RAW from x2 to x16.
- The Epson R-D1 default film can be set to 1, 2 or 3. Value 1 is Portrait mode. Value 2 is for Landscape shooting and value 3 is a night-view set-up.
- When shooting in Jpeg mode you can now select the colour space Adobe RGB.
- The new RAW + JPEG shooting mode simultaneously records the shot in two different files (Jpeg (H) and RAW) under the same file number.
- The quick view function allows the picture to be displayed on the LCD immediately after the shot is taken.
- The noise reduction for long exposure times reduces noise, after the shutter has been closed. On the Epson R-D1, the strong noise reduction set-up of the film could be only operated for an exposure time above 2 seconds.
- A new CCD pixel defect correction function can be performed from the user menu.
- Compatibility with Print Image Matching 3.
- The shutter remains usable even if the Epson R-D1 is set to playback mode.
- The auto white balance has been modified. The colour balance adjustment for incandescent light has been improved.
- Reduction of noise for shots with the ISO 1600 set-up.
- The multi-shot function has been improved by increased the number of successive shots from 2 to 3.
<<unquote>>

Most important for me was the better whitebalance and the outmapping of hotpixels, which funny enough was not even mentioned in the list!!