Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did Petri make this lens or is it a Cosina?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Did Petri make this lens or is it a Cosina? Reply with quote

OK - title says it all.
I know that Petri made lenses - and so did Cosina (for just about everyone).
Is this a Petri lens or a Cosina made lens with the Petri badge?
Or something else ......?
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not Petri lens for sure. Cosina? May be you are right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed quite typical COSINA of the period, found also as PORST REFLEX or Vivitar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Petri didn't make lenses itself, it contracted out to several third party makers. Even so of course it did have a few pieces that can't be identified with a well known third party design, particularly a couple of the 50mm.
This lens was from when it was almost out of business, not much more than a brand name.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
AFAIK Petri didn't make lenses itself, it contracted out to several third party makers. Even so of course it did have a few pieces that can't be identified with a well known third party design, particularly a couple of the 50mm.
This lens was from when it was almost out of business, not much more than a brand name.

I know that Petri made their lenses for the rangefinders, is there any reason to suspect they didn't for their SLRs? While the teles and wides were obviously bought in, most of the normals do seem unique to Petri.

The lens in question here though is definitely not a "real" Petri lens, whether bought in or made by Petri. Post bankruptcy rebrand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina. I had one, well below average.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina, I have one labeled as Casio. In the centre, it was every bit as good as my Pentax F50/1.4. The corners were worse, though.