Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dicentra Revisited
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Dicentra Revisited Reply with quote

I previously posted some shots of the local Bleeding Hearts plants (Dicentra spectabilis) using the Soligor C/D 35-70 lens. The images were good in terms of color, in fact the color was amazingly true to the real-life coloring. However, the overall timbre of the lens was a bit flat, so that the consensus among all of us was that it was simply a neutral lens. The post is here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-35-70-c-d-2-5-3-5-t6812.html#56358

I went back to obtain some images of the plant structures for Orio's request for images for his tiling work. In this case I used the Tamron SP 70-210. There is a pronounced difference between the images from this lens as compared to the Soligor lens. To me anyway, there is much more personality to the images, and the dimensional characteristics are much better. For a zoom lens, the Tamron is quite the piece of metal and glass!

Anyway, here are some of the images:

Bokeh

Trees and a Rock Wall in Background

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Larry!. Impressive shots, I love the 2nd one with the small water drops...
The bokeh of this lens is remarkable!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a vast improvement! Looking at the two versions side by side, the first ones look feeble and wishy-washy in comparison to these. The Tamron shows its pedigree. Thanks for doing this Larry.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Laurence for this superb Dicentra series
in the last series my favorites were #1#2
if still prefer old #1 to new #3 and old #2 to new #2
bokeh, saturation and details of foliage are distracting in new series
also the composition and point of focus was better in first series
the new series is superb but I prefer the nice mood of the flat soligor to the aberrations in out focus area of the tamron

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The two sets are so different and I understand exactly what Poilu is saying but on balance I think the abberations add character to the shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all you guys for your divergent opinions! That is what keep us all thinking.

It is interesting how "bokeh" is handled by each of us in a different manner, as far as how it impresses us (or not). Personally I like the "aberrations" and little "swirly bits" and such things in the fall-off areas. At the same time, I can certainly value the opinions of people who like a more structured bokeh.

It's also interesting the divergence on "flat and neutral" versus "contrasty and deep". And, of course, I can see where there is value-for-the-circumstance for each venue.

That is what makes it all fun, though! In any case, I do like this Tamron zoom lens. And...I like the Soligor too, it just has a different character that I'll have to utilize in the correct situations.

Thanks again to all for commenting! This is how I (we) learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shots #2 and #3 in particular are excellent and would make great photos for identification purposes.

In #2 the harsh prismatic edge to the water drops is slightly distracting in the bottom left, where the drops are background; but enhances the drops on the flowers. However, the dark green background here is much nicer than the distracting, complex background of the other series. The foreground rendering is also much crisper, more real and less like a photo. (I can't really convey the differences well in words; the other series seem flat, greyish, 'smeary' ...)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Shots #2 and #3 in particular are excellent and would make great photos for identification purposes.

In #2 the harsh prismatic edge to the water drops is slightly distracting in the bottom left, where the drops are background; but enhances the drops on the flowers. However, the dark green background here is much nicer than the distracting, complex background of the other series. The foreground rendering is also much crisper, more real and less like a photo. (I can't really convey the differences well in words; the other series seem flat, greyish, 'smeary' ...)

ANOTHER great thing about a forum - I didn't even notice the prismatic droplets until you mentioned them. And I see what you mean. So that now becomes a "tool" in my head, to possibly avoid those background droplets in a shot, especially if I want it to have "clean" bokeh.

THANKS for the dialog, Chris.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 #3 suberb! Others are not better than Soligor.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
#2 #3 suberb! Others are not better than Soligor.

Another divergent opinion! Laughing Thanks Attila, it is great to get opinions because it helps in the long run, in the amount of use I'll give one lens over another. I appreciate the comment.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tired I would say #2 #4 Sad

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am tired I would say #2 #4 Sad

Go to bed! Get some rest! And...thank you! Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Can't wait for our Bleeding Hearts to be up and test my Tamron's on them.

I love the quality of the middle 4 - they each have their own beauty.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys! To me, the Bleeding Hearts are QUITE the flowers, probably one of my favorites. The way the flowers hang like pendants from the arc of the stems, and look like lockets from a necklace, is amazing! It's as though they are little balloon-like hearts, complete with a drop of blood at the bottom! Remarkable. Shocked I've always wondered if a jeweler could ever make a mold and "copy" a Bleeding Heart structure into a necklace.

These are the cultivated variety. There are also wild pure species of Bleeding Hearts which will be blooming in the deeper woods soon. They are, of course, much more sparse in their blooms, and are quite small compared to the cultivars. The ones around here are almost purple in color at times. I will try to obtain some images of them when they start blooming well.