Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Diagnosing a light leak . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing a light leak . . . Reply with quote

During the hustle and bustle we call life, I find myself having time to pop in with a technical question - (I hope I haven't offended anyone with my absenteeism from our community Embarassed . . .if so I'm sorry.)

Lately with my Minolta X570 I am getting a bar of "light" on one side of my photos. Here's the oddness of it . . .
1 - the size of the bar and the colour are not consistant, white yellow,pink, often red and sometimes just a faded band.
2- Not all photos from the roll have it, there also seems to be a consistancy of which photos have it.

So my question are these the symptom of light seals or maybe a bad batch of film - Blacks Camera's store brand. Or could it be something during processing?

My own idea for testing this may take a while - I shoot 2 rolls of Fuji / Kodak film, I take one roll to where I went before (before film disappeared from store . . .) and the other to Blacks.
If film 1 is clear I've elimated the camera from the equation and of course the film and processing.
If film 2 is clear than I got a bad batch of film, if its got stripes there's a problem with processing.

If both films show bars - then I have to replace my light seals.

I'll appreciate any input from our experienced community members.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the three variables are Film, Camera, and Processing...

If the bars are distributed well along the whole roll of film, then if you're clever about it, you could test all three cases with reasonable certainty with just one roll of film. Wink

Here's how:
* Take a roll of different film (ie: the Fuji or Kodak, but NOT the store-brand film)
* Expose half of the roll in your X570, but stop there and rewind the film back into the canister.
* Have the film developed at the same place that developed your last roll that had the trouble.

What this tells us:
* If the exposed half has the stripes but not the unexposed half, then the X570 definitely has a light leak.
* If the whole roll has the stripes, then the lab is at fault
* If no stripes can be found, then either your store-brand film was bad OR there was a fluke problem at the lab.

Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the hinge seal is still intact. The channel seals won't cause this. I don't think the film window seal will either, but make sure it's intact also.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Scheimpflug - This sounds like a good method - I'll probably try this when the current roll is finished.

walter g wrote:
Check to see if the hinge seal is still intact. The channel seals won't cause this. I don't think the film window seal will either, but make sure it's intact also.

I assume this is simply a visual inspection - unless there are some guides available to illustrate the location of seals.

Does the irregularity of the light bars suggest that whether the camera is hand held or tripod mounted would influence how well the seal functioned - holding it shut or not?
Thanks for the input so far. . .
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick pics. The first shot is the film window seal. The second shot is the hinge seal. As you can tell by the pic my channel seals are almost
completely gone.
So that's why I said it can't be them.
The pics are from my X30-N.
The door on an x series fits so tight it dosen't matter if it's handheld or tripod mounted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hopefully "idiot proof" explanation . . .

(Hopefully it prevents me from being an idiot . . . Laughing )

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, nice to hear from you again. Here you will find Jon Goodman's notes on the light seals in X-series Minoltas.
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Minolta_X_types.pdf

It's a good idea to inspect the door seals but I have a sneaking idea this may not be the problem. When you say there is a light band at one side of some of the pictures it sounds to me possibly like a shutter curtain issue as the X-500/570 has horizontal silk shutter curtains, not vertical metal blades like many other Minoltas. If the light band is on the right side of your picture it could mean that the second curtain speed is sticking or a little slow sometimes, which gives increasing over-exposure as it travels across. This is often an intermittent fault, which would explain the inconsistency.

PS - if you do replace the seals, my advice is don't bother with the mirror buffer. It's a very fiddly job on this camera and the chances of messing up the focus screen are very high.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to here from you peter Smile

OK here goes . . .
I took the 1/2 exposed roll of film in for developing . . .
Its the camera, so . . .

First on the hinge side of my film door there is no foam just a heavy stripe of a tacky material (possibly the adhesive?) . . .

Now I did a some quick scans of some symptomatic pics (sorry but they're from the pics)

This red stripe is the most typical . . .

This white stripe also occurs . . .

Now as I said I though maybe the inconsistabcy of their aoccurance was a function of whether I was holding the camera (and therefore holding the back in tighter) or it was on the tripod.

If indeed we think it is a seal gone - where is a good source . . .

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:

If indeed we think it is a seal gone - where is a good source . . .

Try here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pre-Cut-Interslice-Seal-Kit-Minolta-X-series-X-700-etc-/120623388325?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item1c15b6d6a5

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light leak damage on film which has been developed can be diagnosed by remembering that:
a) colored damage (red, orange, yellowish damage) which appears on the developed picture means light struck the back side of the film. C-41 process color film, I mean.
b) whitish or grayish damage which appears on the developed picture came from light striking the front side of the film (essentially the film was overexposed). Please do not ignore bad or slow aperture action on this kind of damage. Also...please do not overlook lens flare.

I always look first to the hinge end seal. That is where maybe 75-80% of light leaks will occur. The latch end seal and the slot seals are mostly dust seals, however please do not think no light leaks will occur in these areas. In some cameras, the long thin slots allow persistent leaks unless they are sealed.

If you have a camera which has a film canister window seal...please do not think that seal can't leak. In many cameras (Fujica AX series, Leica R4, R5, R6, some Nikons, Canons, Minoltas, etc), the film canister seals are the worst light leak provider in the camera. Please remember it takes only a tiny bit of light to ruin film.

Mirror dampers will not generally produce light leak damage, but bad dampers can create an overexposed, washed-out appearance in shots on tripod and self-timer.

Zenit E (and similar Zenit types) have a very serious light leak problem. The meter window on the top plate allows light to stream into the mirror chamber. Correct this, and the Zenit becomes a much nicer camera to use. If you want a 3 part image showing this, please let me know.

Hope this is helpful.
Jon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this message to Jim stuck in my outbox for some weeks, so I'm posting it here. Evidently he hasn't visited us for some time. Hope you're OK Jim.

Incidentally, Jim was referring to his X-570 which does not have a film window.

Message wrote:
:
Hi Jim, it certainly looks like a light leak rather than a shutter fault. One way to confirm for certain is if the band is present right across the sprocket holes on the negative then the light must be coming from behind the film and it cannot be the shutter.

The different colours might be explained by the different length of time that particular place on the film is static where the leak is. If you take one shot immediately after another and then wind on, the film is static for a shorter period than for the first shot. You might get rid of the leak altogether if the camera is in a case.

Here's a pic of the hinge seal on the door of my X-500 which should be the same as your X-570. The foam on mine needs replacing too. This is a new camera for me and it's being tested right at this moment, but I will definitely be replacing the seals soon.

I would suggest you contact Jon Goodman. He makes up kits for particular cameras these days. Look here:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
and look at the Minolta X-Series notes. (BTW the mirror seal on my camera is felt, not foam, and it doesn't need replacing). Jon's ID on Ebay is "interslice" if you want to look there.

I'm in a rush to get ready, we're going to Paris for 5 days tomorrow so I'll catch up with you when I get back.

All the best
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, I like the pictures with the stripe. I try to imagine, how he woud be without. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've had this message to Jim stuck in my outbox for some weeks, so I'm posting it here. Evidently he hasn't visited us for some time. Hope you're OK Jim.

Incidentally, Jim was referring to his X-570 which does not have a film window.

Very Happy by now you got my appology etc . . .

I hope I have found a solution in an alternate method.
On studying the gaskets and other pictures, I came across some very thin self adhesive foam strips - nice and dense. These were an excellent fit so that my X-570 closes without an issue. Currently I'm running a roll through, with luck Mr stripe will be gone, as even though he is a cheerful shade of red - he has the habit ruining pictures Mad .
Laughing
Jim