Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Developing Negitives to use with a scanner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Developing Negitives to use with a scanner Reply with quote

Hi forgive my ignorance,I am new to All things photography in a technical sense....I love taking photos but want to learn more of the tech side of things.I see digital may take over and film developing may get scarce or in my case not a great choice of photo labs...1 and that was an average experience.
How hard is it to develop the film only and just use a scanner to computer set up...bypassing the middle man??
I see a lot of darkroom gear on eBay and would like to know what would be the essentials to buy for just developing the Neg's.
Thank you for any advice in advance,This would be a long term project.

And I do thank you for providing this Darkroom forum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a developing tank with reels, chemicals, water, scanner and electricity will do the trick. if you're serious about it you can invest a little extra in a wet mount adapter for your scanner - the results are seriously improved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at scanners and I am considering the Epsom V500 or V750.Price depending of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V700 is now on specials, check epson website. You get 120$ discount that should cover a betterscanning wet mount adapter and the stuff you'll need for developing film.

If you have the time, keep looking in the Clearance center, from time to time the scanners you want apper refurbished, with a much lower price.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mo-Fo. Did you see the sticky at the top of this forum? If not, this gives you all the basic info you need for developing.
http://forum.mflenses.com/bandw-developing-essential-answers-t3238.html

I have a V700 scanner, I like it very much and I'd definitely recommend it. I chose it because it has a larger capacity so it's much faster. It can take 20 35mm frames on 4 strips of 35mm film, 12 35mm slides or 6 negs on 120 film. The V750 is similar but has extra software. The V500 can only handle 6 35mm frames, 4 slides or 2 120 pics. All of them can scan at higher resolutions than I'll ever need.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much peterqd,somehow I had missed the obvious ...your great post!!
And thank you piticu for the link .I have my information .....now to save and collect all the things needed!!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a V500 and it seems to give as good quality as previous lab scans I've had. The lid seems a bit flimsy to me though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've got a V500 and it seems to give as good quality as previous lab scans I've had. The lid seems a bit flimsy to me though.

It's excellent for the price. I'm sure the major loss in quality comes from the curling of the negs, yet even so it is still very good for medium format. It only takes one 6x9 though, or two 6x6 (I suppose three 4.5x6)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scanner is the Epson 4990, which takes four strips of six. What I did was to buy a spare 35mm film carrier from Epson, so that when one set of strips is in the scanner being batch scanned, I can have the remainder of the film loaded into the spare carrier ready to swap in. It saves a little time, especially when you have quite a few films to scan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The V500 can only handle 6 35mm frames

no, it takes two strips of 35mm film, 12 frames in total. It does take 4 mounted frames and can scan one 6x12 medium format strip or any combination of smaller formats (here film spacing might come to play).

I think this and the equivalent Canon CanoScan 8800 are the ones to get if you're on a budget and want to scan medium format (and they're not that large on a desk).

I've had bad luck with refurbished V500's though, had a lengthy stint last winter with Epson as the first V500 I got developed several "hot pixel"-type streaks. I got a factory refurbished/replacement that was out of alignment or something and produced visibly softer images, also a second replacement scanner did this (both had fibers and other dust particles on the inside of the glass, it would appear they were not serviced in a cleanroom). Finally I got a new boxed scanner courtesy of the store I purchased it from and is now very happy with it. In hindsight I was needlessly picky about the first one that I purchased new, though at the time it was irritating to see streaks in the scans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that developing B&W negatives is easy, but developing colour negatives can be tricky.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoo wrote:
peterqd wrote:
The V500 can only handle 6 35mm frames

no, it takes two strips of 35mm film, 12 frames in total. It does take 4 mounted frames and can scan one 6x12 medium format strip or any combination of smaller formats (here film spacing might come to play).

You're quite right, my mistake. I got that (wrong) information from a brochure. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Developing Negitives to use with a scanner Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Hi forgive my ignorance,I am new to All things photography in a technical sense....I love taking photos but want to learn more of the tech side of things.I see digital may take over and film developing may get scarce or in my case not a great choice of photo labs...1 and that was an average experience.
How hard is it to develop the film only and just use a scanner to computer set up...bypassing the middle man??
I see a lot of darkroom gear on eBay and would like to know what would be the essentials to buy for just developing the Neg's.
Thank you for any advice in advance,This would be a long term project.

And I do thank you for providing this Darkroom forum

Mo-Fo, Hello.

Epsons are excellent for scanning medium format negatives (120 film) but if you are going to be doing 35mm film only I recommend a dedicated 35mm scanner, Nikon, Olympus or any of several. They tend to do a better job on 35mm film than flatbeds.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Keep in mind that developing B&W negatives is easy, but developing colour negatives can be tricky.

Slide ? I did twenty yrs before at home but I don't remember for details.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely on a budget...still in the planning mode.but thanks for all the great food for thought.
What is a dedicated scanner for 35mm film??Is it the plustek brand that you see all over eBay?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Canon Canoscan FS2710 for 50€. It works well, not a highres monster like the new ones. But it works well and I use vuescan for scans.

Two images straight from scanner, with default settings in Vuescan.

And here is a fullsize image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2566/3963730490_28fdbb4416_o.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Definitely on a budget...still in the planning mode.but thanks for all the great food for thought.
What is a dedicated scanner for 35mm film??Is it the plustek brand that you see all over eBay?

I almost bought one. I was 50-50 about a Plustek or an Epson. I decided to get the flatbed for flexibility and scanning prints. It's been handy a couple of times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am sitting on the fence,trying to be as well informed as I can from people who actually have used the scanners so I have read with interest the posts on here and other parts of this forum regarding the Epson. I would rather save and get something that will perform well.Although I check eBay out occasionally Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

Slide ? I did twenty yrs before at home but I don't remember for details.

Slide = super tricky
a few decimals of degrees of temperature off, or not constant, and your beautiful colours will go down the gutter.