Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Decisions Decisions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Decisions Decisions Reply with quote

I have recently been looking out for some mf lenses to use on my Fuji X Pro 1 and have picked up a couple of Jupiter 8's and 11, a Helios and I am very pleased with them. I am currently considering a mir 1b Grand Prix but was wondering if I should consider spending a bit extra to purchase a CZJ flektagon or biotar that seem to be available on e bay would that be worth the extra expense. Any views gratefully appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a well formed question. Because:

a.) Yes, it's worth the extra expense.

and

b.) You should and eventually will get them all anyway.

Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of example photos from each lens posted online.

Some people like the Russian optics. Some like the German optics. Some like the Japan optics. Some like the phenomenal new Chinese optics. Some people like any number of them! Smile

Search to find, of course.

Then again, my advise is buy in as high as you can afford...selling is much more work than buying. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm Mir is very similar to Flektogon with exception of MFD. If you need it then Flektogon is correct choice. If your Helios 58mm is good performer there is no need to buy Biotar. But we are mostly beyond the "need" here and collectors ambition mostly overrides.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a MIR 1B and really liked it, then I bought a Flektogon.....and sold the MIR.

The MIR is very good, don't discount it at all, if you get one you'll enjoy it. But......the Flektogon will be calling your name. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or alternatively get a takumar 35mm....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
There are plenty of example photos from each lens posted online.

Some people like the Russian optics. Some like the German optics. Some like the Japan optics. Some like the phenomenal new Chinese optics.

You forgot South Korean optics. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has all been said here except the quality of the individual lenses.

1. The MIR-1 is a very good lens. The ultimate development of that design, the MIR-24 is even better. A Flektogon fits between the two. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY OF THE INDIVIDUAL LENSES BEING COMPARED.

2. The Helios 44 is a clone of the Biotar. They are very close. I have seen Helios lenses that were better than Biotars and the reverse. Remember: IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY OF THE INDIVIDUAL LENSES BEING COMPARED.