Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dealing with expired Ektar 25
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Dealing with expired Ektar 25 Reply with quote

Anyone want to venture a guess on the best way to go about using some expired Ektar 25? I decided it would be fun to try so I bought some 24exp rolls. The conventional wisdom is overexpose 1 stop every 10 years. It's obviously a slow film and those tend to be a bit more stable. I'm guessing it expired at least 15 years ago. Doubtful it was frozen but I remain hopeful it wasn't improperly stored (heat, high humidity, etc).

Should I just bracket the first roll? Maybe a 6iso, 12iso, 25iso set? Is it not even worth trying at box speed? Definitely time to break out some faster lenses!

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know about Ektar, but I got good results from Fuji (non pro film) 100 and 400 ISO expired in 2001 and this was at box speed (I keep forgetting to reset the asa on the camera).... anyway you can't go wrong over exposing Ektar as neg film doesn't mind, but in saying that guys say the new Ektar is more fussy.
You will probably have a colour cast which is easy to remove but the worst old film I used was still usable but I couldn't get the colours right in Photoshop.....i.e. you adjust one colour and it upsets another and so on till I gave up....something like this which to me looks like a cheap digital camera shot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with expired Ektar 25 Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Anyone want to venture a guess on the best way to go about using some expired Ektar 25? I decided it would be fun to try so I bought some 24exp rolls. The conventional wisdom is overexpose 1 stop every 10 years. It's obviously a slow film and those tend to be a bit more stable. I'm guessing it expired at least 15 years ago. Doubtful it was frozen but I remain hopeful it wasn't improperly stored (heat, high humidity, etc).

Should I just bracket the first roll? Maybe a 6iso, 12iso, 25iso set? Is it not even worth trying at box speed? Definitely time to break out some faster lenses!

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
~Marc

Yep Mark, that is what I would do, use a standard target and bracket ISO. Standrad developing and see what fits best and use that then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Quote:
anyway you can't go wrong over exposing Ektar as neg film doesn't mind, but in saying that guys say the new Ektar is more fussy.

I've gone through a lot the new Ektar 100 and it is relatively fussy for a color negative film. It's got latitude in overexposure but if it's underexposed it gets a pretty nasty blue cast in addition to graininess.

I don't know much about Ektar 25. I wasn't into photography when it was being sold new. I simply saw it in an auction for cheaper than the cheapest roll I could buy new, went "ooo, I like slow film," and figured it'd be worth a try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its from the 90's and is C41 processing (which is good). I have used Jessop and Tudor films expired in the 90's straight out of the box at the rated speed with no problems - 'cept the odd colour cast.

Rate it at half, the worse that will happen is it may be over exposed, which as someone mentioned isn't a big deal with neg film.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was C-41 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. What I meant was I don't know much about its characteristics other than the typical "ultra sharp" tag line printed on the box. Those may not matter much anymore since it's unlikely I'll get results as if it was like-new.

I'll probably be taking the first roll to a normal 1hr developer (have an OK one nearby). See how it does, make sure the rest are usable, if it's worth the time. If successful I'll get some of my c-41 chemicals mixed up and do the rest.

I have no doubt the extra rolls could be sold to the Lomography crowd for twice what I paid. Not too worried.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Expired EKTAR 25 Reply with quote

I found a cassette of expired EKTAR 25 in my fridge -- it must be 30 years old at least -- well- I tried it at 25 and 20 ASA and it was GOOD at 20 ASA !! Hardly any speed loss BUT it had been refrigerated all those years-- see if I can find you samples --
Taken on 1975 Asahi Pentax KX + 135mm f2.8 Vivitar lens I was given
Ektar 25 10 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Same camera and lens
Ektar 25 09 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
This was on another half of the CUT film -- Canon FTBn + 50mm f1.8 Canon lens
Ektar 25 01 by pentaxpete, on Flickr