Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dark red filter 49mm or 55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Dark red filter 49mm or 55mm Reply with quote

Wanted: dark red filter(s) in Minolta MC/MD filtersize, so 49 or 55mm.
Dark (or deep) red is known as #29 wratten or 091 B&W, i have the #25 "normal" red filters.

I've some Ilford SFX films which i'd like to use this summer, new filters are about 40-50 euros, nothing on ebay. So i thought i'd ask here first before buying expensive new stuff!
Finding an original Ilford SFX filter seems close to impossible.....

Thanks!!
René.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close maybe, but not impossible. You just need to know where to look! Wink

Is this what you are looking for?

I bought this filter new some years ago and I think I used it once. I also have new Kodak Wratten No.29 and No.92 deep red filters mounted in Cokin P194 Gelatine holders.

If any of these are of interest, please pm me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 650nm filter should be about the shade you want (My Wratten guide shows the 29 has 50% transmission at 620nm). If you want darker still the 680nm will be suitable
FWIW the #25 is a 590nm filter.

LOADS of those on E-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Lenses-Filters/78997/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=650nm+filter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DigiChromEd: Yes! That is the SFX filter! It's darker than mentioned #29 filters, but it's specifically designed for the use of SFX films. Actually, i do not know what the IR cut-off of these filters is, but seeing it in your picture it does seem to get very close to a true IR filter.
This one's made by Cokin, and in P-series, for which i have no adapters, i do have the normal Cokin set though. PM sent!

@ DConvert: you're right, that could easily be possible! I can't find the specs on the original Ilford filter, but the film has an extended sensitivity to 720nm so any filter would have been within that range. I did shoot a partial roll with a #25 red, although it looks nice it's not giving that real IR "wood" effect. I didn't want to use a true IR filter (i have 750 and 850) because SFX isn't a true IR film but i was looking for a steeper effect than the #25 gave me. Using something in the 650nm range could be the solution!

Thanks for thinking with me here!

Here's a sample from last year with the #25 (Cokin 003) filter:

Ilford SFX200 test: Cokin red 003 filter by René Maly, on Flickr