Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dark red filter 49mm or 55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Dark red filter 49mm or 55mm Reply with quote

Wanted: dark red filter(s) in Minolta MC/MD filtersize, so 49 or 55mm.
Dark (or deep) red is known as #29 wratten or 091 B&W, i have the #25 "normal" red filters.

I've some Ilford SFX films which i'd like to use this summer, new filters are about 40-50 euros, nothing on ebay. So i thought i'd ask here first before buying expensive new stuff!
Finding an original Ilford SFX filter seems close to impossible.....

Thanks!!
René.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close maybe, but not impossible. You just need to know where to look! Wink

Is this what you are looking for?

I bought this filter new some years ago and I think I used it once. I also have new Kodak Wratten No.29 and No.92 deep red filters mounted in Cokin P194 Gelatine holders.

If any of these are of interest, please pm me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 650nm filter should be about the shade you want (My Wratten guide shows the 29 has 50% transmission at 620nm). If you want darker still the 680nm will be suitable
FWIW the #25 is a 590nm filter.

LOADS of those on E-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Lenses-Filters/78997/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=650nm+filter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DigiChromEd: Yes! That is the SFX filter! It's darker than mentioned #29 filters, but it's specifically designed for the use of SFX films. Actually, i do not know what the IR cut-off of these filters is, but seeing it in your picture it does seem to get very close to a true IR filter.
This one's made by Cokin, and in P-series, for which i have no adapters, i do have the normal Cokin set though. PM sent!

@ DConvert: you're right, that could easily be possible! I can't find the specs on the original Ilford filter, but the film has an extended sensitivity to 720nm so any filter would have been within that range. I did shoot a partial roll with a #25 red, although it looks nice it's not giving that real IR "wood" effect. I didn't want to use a true IR filter (i have 750 and 850) because SFX isn't a true IR film but i was looking for a steeper effect than the #25 gave me. Using something in the 650nm range could be the solution!

Thanks for thinking with me here!

Here's a sample from last year with the #25 (Cokin 003) filter:

Ilford SFX200 test: Cokin red 003 filter by René Maly, on Flickr