Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dallmeyer Super Six Anastigmat 8" f2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Dallmeyer Super Six Anastigmat 8" f2.0 Reply with quote

I still can't believe I have this lens. I had a 102mm Super Six that was stolen Sad and in looking for a replacement came across this. I find it quite a bit harder to use than the shorter lens, and not only because it weighs 3.5 kilos. The depth of field is so shallow that one has to be quite far from the subject or the background turns into a total blur. But in the sweet spot is is very sweet indeed.

Actually it turns out to be quite a bit longer than advertised. Eight inches should be about 203mm, but in reality the focal length approaches 230mm. And that at f2.0--quite insane...

Haven't had much time to play with it, but so far these are the images that I like. This is 35mm full frame. The lens would cover 8"x8"...It may really be time to buy a view camera...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, pretty crazy it is, but actually grows on me.. Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whow great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dallmeyer Super Six Anastigmat 8" f2.0 Reply with quote

[quote="kymarto"]I still can't believe I have this lens. I had a 102mm Super Six that was stolen Sad and in looking for a replacement came across this. I find it quite a bit harder to use than the shorter lens, and not only because it weighs 3.5 kilos. The depth of field is so shallow that one has to be quite far from the subject or the background turns into a total blur. But in the sweet spot is is very sweet indeed.

Actually it turns out to be quite a bit longer than advertised. Eight inches should be about 203mm, but in reality the focal length approaches 230mm. And that at f2.0--quite insane...

Haven't had much time to play with it, but so far these are the images that I like. This is 35mm full frame. The lens would cover 8"x8"...It may really be time to buy a view camera...

Absolutely love that. There looks to be enough depth of field for a person face on to you.

Or a person sitting on a motorbike face on to you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I came across your images through a search on Google for Hugo Meyer lenses. I followed some image or other and found your site:

http://toby-marshall.com/

These are lovely renditions and, if possible (if you still post here), could you describe a little how you achieved these renderings and what post-production was involved?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyleBright wrote:
Hello. I came across your images through a search on Google for Hugo Meyer lenses. I followed some image or other and found your site:

http://toby-marshall.com/

These are lovely renditions and, if possible (if you still post here), could you describe a little how you achieved these renderings and what post-production was involved?

Very quickly, I first open a raw image in Adobe Camera Raw and do general optimization--brightness, often boost contrast a bit (but usually not much), vignetting correction and reduce chromatic aberration, if it is a problem. Sometimes if the image is washed out I will add just a bit of dehazing. Anyway get the image looking reasonably bright and snappy. After that I open in Photoshop. I sometimes use "Focus Magic" to sharpen small details. When that is done I generally use a few Topaz filters sparingly. I add a little small and medium detail and boost (from 0.00 to 0.02 on all those parameters) using Topaz Detail. I then sometimes add a bit of contrast using Topaz Clarity (increase Micro Contrast to about and reduce low, mid and high contrast to offset the increased micro contrast. This adds a slight amount of extra detail to bokeh elements. And that's about it. I will sometimes, on very soft images, use a very weak detail enhancement in Topaz Simplify to sharpen up edges in the image.