Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D700 Focusing Screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: D700 Focusing Screen Reply with quote

Interested in your recommendations for a focusing screen for the D700. I have seen those from focusingscreen.com, katzeye, and brightscreen.

What are your recommendations? Let me know those of you who use these screens and if you are happy with your selections. I'm new to manual focus, and am looking for something that really pops the subject into focus.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Katz-Eye in Olympus E-1 I like it and recommend it. Our member hk300 Alex make focusing screens from legacy camera screens. This is another option perhaps even better. Send a pm to Hk300 if interest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone get a F6 screen and sanded it a bit to fit D700,
this is of course an alternate or desperate case. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a cheap one $13 on ebay for my Canon.
It works fine.
Here the seller http://shop.ebay.com/cowy07/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Our member hk300 Alex make focusing screens from legacy camera screens. This is another option perhaps even better. Send a pm to Hk300 if interest.
I have one of Alex's screens in my 400D. I had some initial difficulty in using it, due to the very small viewfinder of my camera, but I'm now quite comfortable with it. The price is great, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone! I have sent a message to Alex to see if he can make me a screen for my D700.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Katz-Eye screen placed in my D700; I opted for their installation service that includes alignment as well. Great customer service, 2-day turnaround; highly recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
I had a Katz-Eye screen placed in my D700; I opted for their installation service that includes alignment as well. Great customer service, 2-day turnaround; highly recommended.

James,

I've heard that replacing the focusing screen on the D3/D700 does not make much of a difference in improving the ability to focus manually. Did the new Katz-Eye screen help you to focus better?

- Wil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Wil!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome Wil!

Thank you!

- Wil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

James,

I've heard that replacing the focusing screen on the D3/D700 does not make much of a difference in improving the ability to focus manually. Did the new Katz-Eye screen help you to focus better?

- Wil[/quote]

Disagree. The KatzEye adds a bit more flexibility in lower light when the AF can't confirm. Using a split circle is how I learned to photograph as a teenager and I find I trust it more than the focus assist; I use the green light more of a secondary confirmation but often ignore it altogether now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right from the very start I knew that there would never be an AF lens on my D700 (and never has to this day) so I ordered a microprism screen from focusingscreen,com. It arrived the day after the D700. I immediately switched out the screen which took about 10 minutes using the instructions on the site and it works beautifully. It is actually a modified Canon screen. I am sure if you own some AF lenses the screen will work fine with them too. I have hesitated getting a D800 for portraiture and wedding work because there were no screens for them but focusingscreen,com now makes them for it too so I may upgrade sometime later this year. I really do not have any gripes about the D700 and it still has less than 15,000 shutter actuations. But as anyone who has done weddings or location portraiture knows, it is pretty much essential to have a back up camera at all times and at least when it comes to digital, right now I do not.

Last edited by NikonAIS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wil_Bloodworth wrote:
james wrote:

James,

- Wil

I am not sure where or from whom you heard that but I am here to tell you that it is flat NOT the case. It makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. The D700 screen was never intended to be used to do critical manual focusing and to be brutally honest, it pretty much flat out SUCKS, especially with shorter focal length lenses. The focus indicator works ok. but when the light levels go down, so does its ability to discern critical focus. There are times when the focus indicator and my microprism screen do not agree and the microprism is always right. It is also very useable in very low light.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's ok to revive the old thread...

I'm looking for a (preferably split) focusing screen for D750. Katzeye is unfortunately long out of business and very few search results have appeared on evilbay. Therefore two questions:
- where else to look? hopefully for an item that won't cost a fortune
- has anyone heard if screens for other Nikon models would fit?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
I hope it's ok to revive the old thread...

Of course it's ok! Also nice to see you revive here again Laughing. We've missed you! Please post some photos! Good luck with your search. Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revival always welcome around here.

THIS SITE has screens for the D750(among many others). 8 offerings, to be precise.

However, their pricing is in what I consider to be the costly territory.
But I have read comments about their products at other places on the net,
and they are well-regarded as being a quality product.

An eBay seller I found also seems
to offer many different focusing screens at much lower cost.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind welcome back and the links Smile
It seems like the ebay items are my best shot, but I need to get the camera first Smile