Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D30 - Dumb Move or Worth It?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: D30 - Dumb Move or Worth It? Reply with quote

I don't currently have a DSLR, I use an M42 older camera, and for digital I have been using a Minolta A-1 digicam.

However, I have the chance to get an "older" Canon D30 (3.2 megapixels) for a pretty good price of somewhere around $150. The guy I may buy it from told me that he thought it was actually "a better built body than a Digital Rebel" and the only thing I should worry about is the "lower megapixel" of the sensor.

Most of my images are, frankly, just for the web and viewing on the computer; what I have i mind is having a handy way of looking at output from my various old M42 lenses. When I am out for "big" prints, I usually have my medium format camera with me anyway...

I have been thirsty to put my M42 lenses on a digital SLR, only because it would negate the scanning, with its inherent problems, that I do on my flatbed for 35mm.

Would this be an okay camera for what I have in mind? Will it accept "most" M42 lenses with the adapter?

Thanks for any ideas.

Laurence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, the D30 was my first foray into DSLR! Shutter lag is a little slow,
but build quality is all there (being Canon's first from the ground up to
compete with Schnikon's D1).

Have you looked at it? Yes, no comparison in build quality to the plasticky
300D Rebel. It's got the Canon CMOS sensor, Canon color, nuff said.
Get it if there's no issues. Batteries are cheap, BP511/512 clones are
all over ebay.

It will take M42 lenses, but somewhere there's info about a mod to the
adapter, but no biggie to do, will check for it.
Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have problem soon might be with shutter. Need to check by an experienced guy. A bit more money Bill bought an Olympus E-300 that is 8MPx camera and a good one too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Attila, the e300 is an extremely good buy with color almost
the equal of Canon. Batteries last long time...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of cheap 300D's going around nowadays too...might be less shutter problems.

3 MP is enough for on screen, but for prints...can barely make A4...

+ not much room for cropping.

All depends on what you need Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to hold off. I think I might be disappointed in 3 megapixels, and I will save a little more and then satisfy my urge with an Olympus or even the Pentax K10D.

I would lean more toward Olympus at this point, simply because I can get an awful lot of camera for a relatively low price. For instance, the E300 at around $230 or E-500 for around $250.

I'll continue to research, but the bottom line is that I think I could get good use out of a digital camera for some applications, and in "testing" and using M42 lenese, even though I am inclined mostly toward the joy of film.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Pentax Reply with quote

You could find some cheap Pentax *istD, Ds, DL or even K110D/K100D (all are 6Mpx).
PENTAX
It depens on the price and how used is the camera (shutter life). I don't know about an older D60 Canon (or 10D).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factors more important than megapixel count for a manual focus lens user are:

compatibility with manual lenses:
Olympus is best as it can nearly mount them all, Canon is second (but it can mount the most important), Pentax is last because it can not mount some important lenses like Contax/Yashica (yes, I know, you can modify the lenses, but it's not something wise to do on valuable lenses).

crop factor:
Canon and Pentax are best with 1.6x crop factor, Olympus is last because the 2x crop factor will be seriously limiting you with wide open lenses (a 28mm lens becomes like a 56mm lens)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon is also best in show for low noise at higher ISO.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to Orio and that's why Canon is the best compromise for MF lenses.

If I could find a D30 in good condition with not too many clicks (shutter!) for under $150,- I think I would buy it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ALL! It is wonderful to be able to have first-rate opinions, simply with a few clicks of my computer!

I am taking this carefully, as I have a "set amount" of money that I save for my camera hobby. I promised my family that I won't exceed my budget, and frankly I think that is eminently fair.

So, I will look for a good price ratio, and take it slow. When the opportunity arises, I'll be prepared. No hurry, no muss, no fuss! That's the way I like it!

I always have a sort of "background urge" to get out there and shoot with my old Revuenon and M42 lenses...it's like when I used to run long distances a lot - it becomes almost an addiction! Rolling Eyes

But, the tactile pleasure of "loading in the film" and "self-determining the exposure and shutter speed", and the "wondering how it came out" is gratifying for me.

And, perhaps because of my age, I simply like the "analog" mechanics and the fact that I can simply store negs and transparencies in folders with nearly instant access. Sometimes it is good to get away from digital, for keeping my mind in order if nothing else.

So, while I think that a digital SLR will be a fun project for getting "instant testing" of various lenses, as well as a good adjunct to this forum for lens reviews, it will be only "another tool" for use.

Thanks again, I'll keep my "eyes open".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

But, the tactile pleasure of "loading in the film" and "self-determining the exposure and shutter speed", and the "wondering how it came out" is gratifying for me.

Yes, Smile me too . Thats why I didn't give up the film shooting , even its more expensive. Anyway, in order to protect the digital one, it seems that this winter will be longer and colder than the last one, so good occasion and reason to shoot film, if there were not enough other reasons already.
Just a mechanical camera and low temperature can't stop you taking pictures.

EDIT. I changed can to can't . This is right Smile

Last edited by montecarlo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Absolutely! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Yes, Smile me too . Thats why I didn't give up the film shooting , even its more expensive. Anyway, in order to protect the digital one, it seems that this winter will be longer and colder than the last one, so good occasion and reason to shoot film, if there were not enough other reasons already.
Just a mechanical camera and low temperature can stop you taking pictures.

Both of you are so right!
With my film SLR and rangefinder cams I look very calm towards the bad and cold weather in the next months. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I your MF lenses are M42 then Pentax is a very good buy, the system is designed with the capability of using old K and M42 lenses in mind. Nikon has a major disadvantage regarding the use of M42 lenses, the infinity focus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo wrote:
I your MF lenses are M42 then Pentax is a very good buy, the system is designed with the capability of using old K and M42 lenses in mind. Nikon has a major disadvantage regarding the use of M42 lenses, the infinity focus.

Hello Ivo: Yes, the Pentax is in my "sights" as well. I have always admired the K10d since it came out. It's more money than I want to spend at this time; I will have to see if I want to wait a longer time for such a camera.

Again, the main thing is that I appreciate these suggestions.

All the digital cameras made in the past few years are probably quite good. There are differences between them, but overall they are all amazing pieces of gear. So my final decision will probably have to do with color rendition, shutter actuations, crop factor, lens compatibility, and ease of use.

I am not so concerned about high ISO noise issues, as I use a tripod 80% of the time. If I want to "shoot from the hip" without a tripod, I think lenses similar to my fast Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4 will be sufficient for those "quick shots" in lower light.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: the D30 has great tonal quality... Reply with quote

A year ago it was my first Dslr and felt it was a great intro/transition from film slr...
easy to use in P mode...disliked the "zoom" mode on the review LCD.
This is 1/4 of the full frame shot taken the first hour in my hands...(if the color isn't quite right it's because I shot it in Jpeg before I knew about RAW...

I upgraded to a 10D a month after I got the D30, tho I did just sell it when I came up with a cheap 350D...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice, especially such a partial crop from the original. I imagine you will be making even more beauties from your new acquisition!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!. It's very gratifying to see people like you backing up the classic photography.
Long life to the film!.
Best regards,
Jes.