Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D.Zuiko 40mm f2.8 on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: D.Zuiko 40mm f2.8 on NEX Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of old cameras on the bay, paid next to nothing for them and got a few interesting cams. I'll show them later. But amongst them were a Minox GL half disassembled and a nice looking Olympus trip with a loose lens. I looked on line for advice on repairs but when I took the front of the lens off there had been a seriously botched repair attempt. Buts missing etc. Not one to waste anything. I carefully peeled off the 'leather' to make a pattern if I should want to re-cover another and the top and bottom plates which were in mint condition. Plus the rewind knob and the viewfinder.

But I digress.

The arm which attaches the front element to the focus ring was snapped and the aperture 'plate' (the bit that tells the little lever how much to close down) was prised up and unable to perform its function.

I almost gave it up as a bad job but remembering I have a big_is NEX-M42 focusing helical I tried it out. It would work.

I glued the aperture together at roughly between f5.6 and f8 leaving a nice big diamond shape aperture. I screwed and glued everything together so the lens is actually just a solid block with no moving parts. I took the M42 mount off a fungused lens and with about .7mm shim I got infinity when attached to my focus helical.

(this one with cam shake!!)

Photos taken this morning, the sun was low and I got a little flare and the lens is a little flat in contrast so all pics have had auto contrast applied. Nothing else.

I think pretty good!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pretty good too, sharp, contrasty and a good bit of pop. Just a shame about the square aperture giving that distinctive bokeh which isn't to my tastes, but that's a minor point. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bokeh as a feature of the image works. I like it on that basis. Nice images.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think pretty good too, sharp, contrasty and a good bit of pop. Just a shame about the square aperture giving that distinctive bokeh which isn't to my tastes, but that's a minor point. Well done.

fair nuff each to their taste, but It was deliberate. I have another rangefinder lens who's fixed 2.8 aperture is too wide for normal situations. I have made a waterhouse stop for it behind the lens but it vignettes badly.

I made the decision to fix the aperture to get the best out of the lens sharpness (f8 usually being optimum) and to get the distinctive bokeh in close ups. I think I succeeded nicely. Its persisting down today so no chance to get more shots.