Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Trioplan & Primoplan on Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: CZJ Trioplan & Primoplan on Sony A7 Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have an opportunity to get a Sony A7 in Mint condition for $700 and am considering it for my the lenses below because it's a low cost opportunity for FF, there seems to be a great deal of E mount adapters and I am having focus shift issues with my X Pro1 (separate post).

Here are the lenses I would use with the A7:

CZJ Biotar 58 f/2
CZJ Sonnar 50 f/1.5 (Contax RF)
CZJ Tessar 5cm f/2 (Contax RF)
Primoplan 58
Trioplan 50
Trioplan 100

The only posts I could find for the original Sony A7 are here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/sharp-35mm-f-2-for-sony-a7-t79706,highlight,%2Bsony+%2Ba7.html

and the gallery

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-2-8-35mm-on-sony-a7-t80067,highlight,%2Bsony+%2Ba7.html

I also found Mattias Burling's YT video recommending a Sony A7 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rISyCNXU1uI

I'm very much into portraiture, desert foliage and night scenes with lights creating "bubble bokeh" Is the Sony A7 a good choice?

Does it focus easily with manual focus lenses; ie how's the peaking?

Thanks so much in advance for your usually great guidance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my A7, despite having also bought an A7 II. Regarding image quality, both are very similar, having more or less the same sensor.

The main difference between both models is the in-body image stabilization. This is of course a useful feature but it also makes the camera body quite a bit more bulky and also heavier.

The A7 II also has less sensor reflections. This is IMHO the biggest problem with the original A7. It shows in the form of ugly purple reflections / blobs when shooting against the light, especially if the sun or other light sources are in the frame.

As for using adapted lenses, the A7 is a great platform, with its 24x36 sensor and focusing aids (focus peaking and magnification), especially at its actual going price. There are well documented issues with many wide angle lenses designed for rangefinder cameras, but this only concerns lenses with focal lengths below 40mm. There should be no problem at all using your lenses, as they are all 50mm or more. I have personally used the 58/2 Biotar, 50/1.5 Sonnar (old Contax uncoated pre-WWII version) and 100/2.8 Trioplan on my A7 with great results.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
I still use my A7, despite having also bought an A7 II. Regarding image quality, both are very similar, having more or less the same sensor.

The main difference between both models is the in-body image stabilization. This is of course a useful feature but it also makes the camera body quite a bit more bulky and also heavier.

The A7 II also has less sensor reflections. This is IMHO the biggest problem with the original A7. It shows in the form of ugly purple reflections / blobs when shooting against the light, especially if the sun or other light sources are in the frame.

As for using adapted lenses, the A7 is a great platform, with its 24x36 sensor and focusing aids (focus peaking and magnification), especially at its actual going price. There are well documented issues with many wide angle lenses designed for rangefinder cameras, but this only concerns lenses with focal lengths below 40mm. There should be no problem at all using your lenses, as they are all 50mm or more. I have personally used the 58/2 Biotar, 50/1.5 Sonnar (old Contax uncoated pre-WWII version) and 100/2.8 Trioplan on my A7 with great results.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Wonderful, thanks for the fast reply! It looks like the A7 is a great deal today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that I have never encountered any sensor reflections or purple blobs with my A7 which is used with a variety of legacy lenses (from Minolta 24mm to Fujinon 200mm). My widest legacy lens is a 17mm Minolta which shows soft corners, but this was a common issue with lenses from that era. For such shots I usually use a Rokinon 14mm which performs admirably.

Maybe I have been lucky or perhaps it is because I rarely shoot towards the Sun !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemeterfilms wrote:
Just to say that I have never encountered any sensor reflections or purple blobs with my A7 which is used with a variety of legacy lenses (from Minolta 24mm to Fujinon 200mm). My widest legacy lens is a 17mm Minolta which shows soft corners, but this was a common issue with lenses from that era. For such shots I usually use a Rokinon 14mm which performs admirably.

Maybe I have been lucky or perhaps it is because I rarely shoot towards the Sun !

It is a widely known problem and doesn't only happen with the sun. This is the reason why I don't use my Sony A7 to shoot nightscapes:

Credit: PRESENZA76

Credit: Magnar W

Credit: Magnar W

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with examples - I will try to see if I can replicate the effect with my A7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot night scenes but very few cases could find color shift with the A7II , which i would recommend more then the A7 not only for the lack of image stabilization, but the A7 it's got a less quality mount ,that would need to be replaced specially for those that are using lot's of vintage lenses and adapters (Philip Reeve's site). Ford the few dollars difference, the A7II3 is better buy IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I have shot night scenes but very few cases could find color shift with the A7II , which i would recommend more then the A7 not only for the lack of image stabilization, but the A7 it's got a less quality mount ,that would need to be replaced specially for those that are using lot's of vintage lenses and adapters (Philip Reeve's site). Ford the few dollars difference, the A7II3 is better buy IMHO

To me, it's the terrible sensor reflections that are a big iproblem with the original A7, while the supposedly flimsy lens mount is a non issue. I have used all kind of lenses, including some heavy telephotos without ever noticing any ill effect.

The lens mount, as on any other camera, is made of stainless steel secured with metal screws. There is a thin plastic washer sandwiched between the bayonet and the camera body, but the assembly is very rigid, strong and durable.

The "flimsy lens mount" issue appeared on the forums at about the same time some merchants began to offer "tough replacement mounts" for the A7. For me it's just the typical "solution to a non-existent problem." There is absolutely no need to replace the original bayonet and I have never heard of an A7 mount breaking because of a heavy lens or of a lens alignment problem caused by the mount being too flexible!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the lenses in your list, well i have a Jupiter 3 instead of the Sonnar and a M42 mount Tessar. All work great on my Sony A7 II. Coming from a Nikon D700 to the A7 II, couldn t be more happy for manual focus lenses.

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
kiddo wrote:

To me, it's the terrible sensor reflections that are a big iproblem with the original A7, while the supposedly flimsy lens mount is a non issue. I have used all kind of lenses, including some heavy telephotos without ever noticing any ill effect.

The lens mount, as on any other camera, is made of stainless steel secured with metal screws. There is a thin plastic washer sandwiched between the bayonet and the camera body, but the assembly is very rigid, strong and durable.

The "flimsy lens mount" issue appeared on the forums at about the same time some merchants began to offer "tough replacement mounts" for the A7. For me it's just the typical "solution to a non-existent problem." There is absolutely no need to replace the original bayonet and I have never heard of an A7 mount breaking because of a heavy lens or of a lens alignment problem caused by the mount being too flexible!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Thank you so much for the comprehensive answer! It sounds like the sensor reflections can be avoided, and all my MF lenses weigh less than the A7 Smile

tomasg wrote:
I have all the lenses in your list, well i have a Jupiter 3 instead of the Sonnar and a M42 mount Tessar. All work great on my Sony A7 II. Coming from a Nikon D700 to the A7 II, couldn t be more happy for manual focus lenses.

Tomas
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a A7II, but $600 for a new A7 might be too good a deal to pass up!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevesurf wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for a A7II, but $600 for a new A7 might be too good a deal to pass up!

The A7 is smaller and lighter. And the built-in stabilization is a weak point of the A7II (just google "Sony A7II IBIS failure" or "Sony A7II Camera error turn power off then on" to read lots of scary stories about stabilization going kaputt and bricking the camera.

As you say, sensor reflections can be avoided and A7 is too good to pass! Twisted Evil

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ Trioplan & Primoplan on Sony A7 Reply with quote

$700 for an A7 is slightly on the expensive side. I got an A7ii for that much. During that period of time, all A7ii's were sold for between $700 to $800, more towards $700. Haven't checked the recently sold price though. I found the image stablization is a big deal to me and I like the slightly larger grip. But they are really personal feelings. If you are in the US and have bestbuy around, you probably can try them out to see which one you like. I am using A7ii exclusively for MF lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
stevesurf wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for a A7II, but $600 for a new A7 might be too good a deal to pass up!

The A7 is smaller and lighter. And the built-in stabilization is a weak point of the A7II (just google "Sony A7II IBIS failure" or "Sony A7II Camera error turn power off then on" to read lots of scary stories about stabilization going kaputt and bricking the camera.

As you say, sensor reflections can be avoided and A7 is too good to pass! Twisted Evil

Cheers!

Abbazz

Thanks again...It's nice to have choices - other than the mount non-issue, do you feel the A7's build quality to be decent?

vivaldibow wrote:
$700 for an A7 is slightly on the expensive side. I got an A7ii for that much. During that period of time, all A7ii's were sold for between $700 to $800, more towards $700. Haven't checked the recently sold price though. I found the image stablization is a big deal to me and I like the slightly larger grip. But they are really personal feelings. If you are in the US and have bestbuy around, you probably can try them out to see which one you like. I am using A7ii exclusively for MF lenses.
Great advice - thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevesurf wrote:

Thanks again...It's nice to have choices - other than the mount non-issue, do you feel the A7's build quality to be decent?

No problem at all with build quality. I bought mine when I was living in Myanmar, so it spent three years in a hot and humid climate. After almost five years, it's still clicking without a hiccup!

Cheers!

Abbazz