Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35 Reply with quote

I liked the combination of colours in this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice ! Good subject for a HDR image.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great scenery. I like the natural realistic colours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvia film? Now Bob, no fair scanning pictures out of mags and pasting
them up! Laughing

Very nice pic! Colors (note new spelling) are exquisite! Cool

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Velvia film? Now Bob, no fair scanning pictures out of mags and pasting
them up! Laughing

Very nice pic! Colors (note new spelling) are exquisite! Cool

Bill

Not film, Bill - it's that voluptuously fat arsed 5D again.... Wink

"Scanning pictures out of magazines....." Mmmmm...... Shocked Laughing

Yes the colours (note correct spelling) are quite nice....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice "hues" Bob Smile One for the calendar I think. What 's an HDR image?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeware, opensource & multi-plateforme software for making HDR and Tone Mapping pics :

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Yes the colours (note correct spelling) are quite nice....

Bob, I just knew that would twist your topknot! Laughing

Bill, a scratching rustic from the American outback...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Very nice "hues" Bob Smile One for the calendar I think. What 's an HDR image?

My, Peter, I had no idea you were such a political animal. Laughing

The picture is nice, though...Bob didn't say which magazine he cut it
out of. Wink Oh dear, I ended the sentence with a preposition.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

as to HDR Evil or Very Mad (well 95% of HDR shots anyway...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:

I don't like them either. I can immediately tell when a sky (the most common object) was "rescued" with HDR or other digital trickery.

People don't understand that it's much better aesthetically-wise to have some blacks "blocked" in the picture, but the mood of the shot preserved", than to have a perfectly equalized picture where everything looks sterile or, in the sace of HDR, where the highlights in the sky are darker than the highlights on the objects (the most common mistake).

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the HDR images I've seen look a bit synthetic or "plastic" to me but then that's just my opinion.

Bill the scratching banjo playing rustic from the American outback wrote:

"Squeal like a pig, boy!!!!!" Laughing

Banjoman wrote:
The picture is nice, though...Bob didn't say which magazine he cut it
out of. Wink Oh dear, I ended the sentence with a preposition.

It's out of 'EOS 5D fat arsed full-frame Monthly' and thank God you didn't write 'proposition'.... Laughing

Did I mention that the 5D is FF....? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
A lot of the HDR images I've seen look a bit synthetic or "plastic" to me but then that's just my opinion.

And mine. I didn't want to say anything before because I thought I might be the only one, but manipulating images like this is not my cup of tea either. I'd like it more if it went much farther and became a new way of creating modern art.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Peter:

The closest I've came to HDR or tone mapping was to overlay two images to give the sky a bit more punch (Not the one in this thread.) but like Orio says, it's all too easy to overdo it and create something that doesn't look right - in my case, I was pleased with the result as it did the trick but it's not something that I'd necessarily want to make a habit of. I think most of the HDR images I've seen, and which I thought were a bit "plastic" looking IMO, were multi-layer with anything up to seven layers.

Strangely enough, all this seems to have parallels with audio recording and as a musician you'll probably know what I'm talking about when producers smother a track in FX etc. to try and hide the fact that it might not be a very good recording in the first place.

It all starts at the source, and that applies to both audio recording and photography - rubbish in = rubbish out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

It all starts at the source, and that applies to both audio recording and photography - rubbish in = rubbish out.

Very true. I agree much with your reasoning.
I too, like many other people, was initially captured by the easiness of filter tricks in Photoshop. I am a very early user of Photoshop, I bought it shortly fter I bought my first Windows computer in 1995.
I remember that through the second half of the Nineties, say 1996-1999, there was a real "filter-mania" with Photoshop. Everybody was making plugins, and all sort of weird effects were applied to photographs. Everybody found in themselves a new Andy Warhol or something.
But then for me as immediately as the beginning of the 2000s, this all became annoying. I came back more and more to the basics of photography. And curiously this started when I bought my first digital camera (an Olympus compact) end of year 2000. Strangely, because one would think that a digital camera would make you more leaning towards use of filters etc. but it was opposite, the possibility of seeing that you could obtain very clean, very lifelike images with the computer pushed me more and more away from noisy, pixelating filters. And with the first digital reflex in 2003, the 300D, I did not want to hear of filters anymore except for those that could do functions of what is digital darkroom, that is, bringing out the pureness of digital negatives, instead of drowning it inside a pixel cauldron.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Bill the scratching banjo playing rustic from the American outback wrote:

"Squeal like a pig, boy!!!!!" Laughing

Now Bob, that's Georgia, one state over. I made a real hit with some
guys from Georgia when I told them I thought their license plate credo/saying should read "Squeal like a pig!" Yeah. Laughing

bob955i wrote:

It's out of 'EOS 5D fat arsed full-frame Monthly' and thank God you didn't write 'proposition'.... Laughing

Did I mention that the 5D is FF....? Wink

You mean it has a full figure like you, Bob? Laughing Laughing

All joking aside, I am a fan of the 5D, and you've certainly done the
camera justice! This latest pic is superb! Smile

[IhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyou] Ok, I'm better now. Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Now Bob, that's Georgia, one state over. I made a real hit with some guys from Georgia when I told them I thought their license plate credo/saying should read "Squeal like a pig!" Yeah. Laughing

And they let you live....? Shocked Laughing

Actually, we have areas like that over here too - Dundee and Glasgow.... Laughing

Quote:
You mean it has a full figure like you, Bob? Laughing Laughing

Flattery will get you nowhere with me, mate..... Laughing

Returning to the image, thank you for the kind comments. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

I don't like them either. I can immediately tell when a sky (the most common object) was "rescued" with HDR or other digital trickery.

People don't understand that it's much better aesthetically-wise to have some blacks "blocked" in the picture, but the mood of the shot preserved", than to have a perfectly equalized picture where everything looks sterile or, in the sace of HDR, where the highlights in the sky are darker than the highlights on the objects (the most common mistake).

-

Yes, I too feel that there should be natural black areas in a picture, in order to keep it lifelike (as the eye sees it). Good points, Orio.