Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Biometar 2.8/80 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: CZJ Biometar 2.8/80 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

This is the early 'Star Wars' finish, with nasty plastic focus grip, in P6 mount and using a P6-M42 adapter to mount on my a850.

I always really liked this lens on 6x6 BW film, on digital it doesn't immediately win me over, but I need to try it further. The bokeh and rendering are very nice, but the images are a little flat. Sharpness is good but a little less good than most CZJ lenses for the 35mm format. All these samples are wide open.

100% crop:

100% crop:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of sharpness there Ian, impressive sharpness. Nice bokeh and rendering as well - as you say. Are they "a little flat"? I wouldn't say they are, they might not have the dramatic punch of many ( popular ) lenses, but what it does have is an honesty about its colour rendition, I'd say it's "natural" - and that's not a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Seems to be a really nice lens to my eyes also,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 copies of Biometar CZJ 80mm F2.8. In terms of performance they are among the best lenses I have. A notable characteristic of the Biometar is a virtually zero lateral chromatic aberration. The Biometar is also an excellent macro lens when used with extension rings or bellows.

The definition of the Biometar wide open is only reasonable. There are subtle traces of residual spherical aberration, but many people will just find this feature interesting for portraiture. At F4 the definition increases considerably, and at F5.6 the lens becomes exceedingly sharp in most of the image. At F8 the definition is absolutely irreproachable from corner to corner. F11 is more or less equivalent to F8, and these two apertures are the best for landscape. At F16 the sharpness drops, but not much, because of the diffraction effect.

A technical and historical curiosity:
The Biometar is a simplified double Gauss lens with five elements, where the rear doublet was replaced by a very bent meniscus. This optical scheme has been used in many lenses, including macro and enlarging lenses. It was used by Canon, Elgeet, Fuji, Leica, Meopta, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Schneider, Tomika, Wray, Zeiss Jena and Carl Zeiss Oberkochen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri Cartier-Bresson wrote:
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”

As one of the other members (forgotten who Sad ) has in his footer.

For me it is a nice lens, and your samples are not bad either!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept"

Henri Cartier Bresson came from a bourgeois family. His father was a wealthy textile manufacturer.
Cartier Bresson could only study arts and devote himself to photography because his father was a rich bourgeois. Surprised

After the French Revolution, the world became bourgeois.
Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Pentax are all "bourgeois" companies. Shocked

Sharpness is bourgeois concept. So what? Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These examples were cherry picked, the overall impression from the shots I made was that the lens produces results that are less sharp and more flat than other CZJ lenses for the 35mm format. This is an early copy, I expect later copies, especially with the MC coating are sightly better.

I'm not saying it's not a good lens, just that this copy doesn't particularly inspire me and many of the shots with it were just flat, lacking somehow.

It does display CA on bright highlights, BTW.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, according to my experience the lateral chromatic aberration of the Biometar 80mm F2.8 is virtually nonexistent. On the other hand, there is some longitudinal chromatic aberration, but it is moderate.

A good way to test a lens for longitudinal chromatic aberration is photographing specular reflections of strong light sources. This type of reflection often occurs in chromed metal parts.

The photograph below shows the reflections from a kitchen faucet. The first crop is from a picture taken with F2.8 aperture. It is possible to see red and cyan fringes around the strongest reflections. Note also a little of glow and softness caused by the residual spherical aberration. This behavior is characteristic of many fast or semi-fast lenses. In the second crop the aperture was reduced to F5.6, virtually eliminating the chromatic aberration. Note also how sharpness improves much when the lens aperture is closed by 2 only stops.

Full image:

100% crop - F2.8:

100% crop - F5.6:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only pedantic people care about such minutiae, even moreso today when there is a button in adobe camera raw to click that will remove CA. Very Happy

Also, it is a waste of time to use a singular example of a lens to make sweeping statements about all other copies of the same design, especially if they are not made at the same time and may well represent different calculations of the prescription, a lens like the Biometar that remained in production for decades no doubt went through several iterations.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you do not know the difference between lateral and longitudinal chromatic aberration. The longitudinal chromatic aberration can not be easily removed by post-processing.

Too bad you got a bad copy of Biometar ... Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”

As one of the other members (forgotten who Sad ) has in his footer.

For me it is a nice lens, and your samples are not bad either!

It would be interesting to know what he really said ( in french) , on whcih occasion and what he ment.
I would love to have his opinion on digital photography.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I'm afraid you do not know the difference between lateral and longitudinal chromatic aberration. The longitudinal chromatic aberration can not be easily removed by post-processing.

Too bad you got a bad copy of Biometar ... Sad

I'm sorry you don't quite seem to understand that tiny details don't matter to the big picture. Hence I don't really worry too much about the CA your copy has or doesn't have because my copy produces nice pictures.

I haven't got a bad copy of the Biometar Rolling Eyes I have an early copy with less effective coating.

The copy I have has lower contrast, lower saturation (produces pastel colours) and is susceptible to veiling flare. All of these I attribute to the coating, sadly I don't have a hood to fit it, but I'll get one.

The lower contrast and saturation produces images that are different in character to my other CZJ lenses, some might actually prefer the rendering.

Some more samples from my 'bad' copy...

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals,

I'd say that it is a very capable lens Ian, the colors are spot on. That last shot is a bit of an inspiration I would say.
An old but goddie lens indeed.

Cheers,

Gavin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the CZJ Biometar renders in a unique way and yours seems quite good to me.
I have this lens in later MC variant and I, too sometimes think it looks "flat" for want of a better word.
But it is excellent for sharpness, and I find that the bokeh needs careful "managing" - ie you have to be conscious of the kind of background that it is subjected to.
The old world pastels are one reason to own and use this lens.
On a related topic, I understand that in the shooting of the movie "Saving Private Ryan", there was a considered effort to locate and use older lenses to give an authentic 1944 feel to the D-Day landings cinematography.
Anyhoo, we choose different lenses and their rendering for the joy that they give us in reproduction.
Horses for courses so to speak.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice shots there, Ian. I like the last one the best.
I have said this before, you have some beautiful countryside where you live!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sharp and nice bokeh, great set !