Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

czj 135/3.5 stiff focus ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: czj 135/3.5 stiff focus ring Reply with quote

hi all,

my czj 135/3.5 (the mc version) has a really stiff focus ring. i wonder if there's an easy tutorial somewhere on adding some lubricant. what kind of lubricant should i use?

seems like it should be an easy job, but i have no idea where to start.

thanks in advance for any help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: czj 135/3.5 stiff focus ring Reply with quote

gillbod wrote:
hi all,

my czj 135/3.5 (the mc version) has a really stiff focus ring. i wonder if there's an easy tutorial somewhere on adding some lubricant. what kind of lubricant should i use?

Hi, you chose the right lens! Here is a great guide on dismantling, cleaning and reassembling it. I wish all lenses had guides like this Smile
http://www.andrew.brown.dsl.pipex.com/articles/czj135svc/

You'll need to clean all the old grease off both parts of the helicoid thread, use lighter fuel for this with a small toothbrush and cotton wool buds. For re-greasing it's important to use a grease which isn't too thick but doesn't lose viscosity when warmed by the sun etc. If this happens, ordinary grease becomes thin and can run onto the glass or onto the aperture blades and they become sticky. I use a white lithium grease but there are other heat-resistant types.

While you have the lens dismantled it's a very good idea to clean the aperture blades. You don't need to dismantle them. The guide says to dunk them in hot water and dry with a hairdryer but I dunk them in lighter ful and keep working them until it has evaporated. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: czj 135/3.5 stiff focus ring Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
gillbod wrote:
hi all,

Hi, you chose the right lens! Here is a great guide on dismantling, cleaning and reassembling it. I wish all lenses had guides like this Smile
http://www.andrew.brown.dsl.pipex.com/articles/czj135svc/

You'll need to clean all the old grease off both parts of the helicoid thread, use lighter fuel for this with a small toothbrush and cotton wool buds. For re-greasing it's important to use a grease which isn't too thick but doesn't lose viscosity when warmed by the sun etc. If this happens, ordinary grease becomes thin and can run onto the glass or onto the aperture blades and they become sticky. I use a white lithium grease but there are other heat-resistant types.

While you have the lens dismantled it's a very good idea to clean the aperture blades. You don't need to dismantle them. The guide says to dunk them in hot water and dry with a hairdryer but I dunk them in lighter ful and keep working them until it has evaporated. Good luck!

Thank u so much Peter, I had been looking for this. My lense aperture blades have been stuck. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: czj 135/3.5 stiff focus ring Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

lighter fuel is definetly better, water erodes the apperture blades very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! thanks so much.

seems straightforward enough. i hope i don't much up infinity focus though!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CZJ 135 is among the easiest lenses to tear apart and then put back together, so don't worry too much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillbod wrote:
i hope i don't much up infinity focus though!

You almost certainly will. But the adjustment is very simple and tele lenses are much easier than wides. I don't think you'll have much of a problem, but let us know if you get into trouble.

Just one thing, be very careful not to lose the tiny ball-bearing under the aperture ring and watch out for springs - they jump across the room and always find somewhere good to hide. Work on a cloth so that things don't roll around, and keep the parts in a heavy container which won't tip over, and separate them if there's a chance you might be unsure where they go back. Oh, and take record pictures at each stage if you can, it can really help with re-assembly.