Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 135 3.5 -- any good for Formula 1?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: CZJ 135 3.5 -- any good for Formula 1? Reply with quote

Bought a cheap Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 for use on my NEX-5N. Tried it out for the first time at this weekend's British Formula 1. Actually pretty pleased with the results shooting through fencing wide open at 1/320s. Realise I now need to get some ND filters to allow me to drop the speed further and get more blur.

Last edited by andymw on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ 135 3.5 -- any good for Formula 1? Reply with quote

andymw wrote:
Bought a cheap Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 for use on my NEX-5N. Tried it out for the first time at this weekend's British Formula 1. Actually pretty pleased with the results shooting through fencing wide open at 1/320s. Realise I now need to get some ND filters to allow me to drop the speed further and get more blur.

Hello, welcome and that's a cracker of an image. Cool

New members images don't show on their first post as an anti-spam measure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on both counts, and that is no mean cheapo lens!

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ 135 3.5 -- any good for Formula 1? Reply with quote

andymw wrote:
... I now need to get some ND filters to allow me to drop the speed further and get more blur.

Why don't you just close the aperture?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ 135 3.5 -- any good for Formula 1? Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
andymw wrote:
... I now need to get some ND filters to allow me to drop the speed further and get more blur.

Why don't you just close the aperture?

You need the aperture wide open to make the fences disappear. Here's an example of F8: This was taken from the same spot through the same fence on practice day .. roughly same lighting conditions ... pretty dramatic difference I would say

Last edited by andymw on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well known lens from quality , nice series congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Another example Reply with quote

Another shot just for comparison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite as sharp, but mainly due to the steadiness of my hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.
Great shots, by the way. GO, KIMI ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are excellend maybe rather han Nd a polarizer may do?
Welcome to the exciting world of mflenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens choice and you made some very fine shots with it.

Look forward to seeing what else you shoot with it, the Sonnar is one of my faves, although I sold mine for a nice profit because I have a Russian copy that is the same in quality and I needed the money Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. I don't agree with your need for ND filters. Just stop the lens down as it won't matter that DOF is increased as the background will be blurred from panning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first is my fav, not bad for a mf lens. I tried the same at Moto GP few years ago... gee !
Go Kimi Very Happy