Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZ Jena Pancolar f/1.8 50mm Re-Assembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: CZ Jena Pancolar f/1.8 50mm Re-Assembly Reply with quote

I wish my first post was not about asking for help but it is what it is.

Got this lens from overseas and when it got here it seemed it was very dirty on the inside as focus was very rough and it had some flat spots and aperture ring was very loose. Seller offered to replace it but I didn't want to spend more money on shipping so decided to clean it myself as I'm big on DIY but I have never tackled such a task before.

It was easy to take apart and lubricate properly so the focus is now super smooth and has good resistance. Problem I encountered was with aperture ring mostly. It used to be super loose but now it's extremely tight. When I took the aperture ring off there were couple of ball bearings just floating around in there which I believe caused the looseness as they have fallen out of their proper spot and I have no clue where they belong.

Anyway, I have several question and I will post some photographs of specific areas I have questions about but for now I wanted to see if anyone has taken this lens apart and can provide some guidance or anyone knows of a DIY online.

Any help is much appreciated Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jay!

Only one small ball have place under aperture ring and provide stops at every aperture. Easy to find their place , sorry I don't have any description how to do it , but you will find it I am sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Attila. On the side note, I've been watching your eBay store for good lenses. I think that's how I found the site.

I've taken few pictures to better explain questions I have.
This is aperture ring connection to aperture blades and the focus slider . When the focus is set to infinity, aperture ring is connected and everything is good.

Once I start making focus adjustments away from infinity the connection is not longer there which means the aperture adjustment can no longer be made and the lens will be stuck at the last aperture it was set to.

From a different angle

This is where both ball bearings are. There is one below the one that is visible and I can't get it out. If only one is supposed to be there what is the other one for and where does it go?

This seems to be the last obstacle before I have a very clean and functioning lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm not familiar with this lens but I am guessing that it has been (re)assembled incorrectly. I do not believe that the two parts (the "slot" and the "prong") which the arrow points to in the first picture should disengage when you focus. Has the part with the the "prong" been fitted upside down ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean and I have checked it but simply there is no way to put the aperture ring on upside-down. Prong and slot parts I did not take off so as far as I know that's how they are supposed to be mounted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often worth searching the forum, either directly or via Google. So...

http://forum.mflenses.com/pancolar-50-18---disassemble-amp-clean-t16511.html

gives a link which apparently describes the disassembly of the Pancolar. Access requires you to join a Yahoo group so I don't know if it's useful. But it might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the prong disengages the slot, my guess is, that the helicoid was screwed in incorrectly. You have to trial and error until you get the right helicoid position. The prong shouldn't disengage the slot then.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! I'm trying to join the group ...

Believe me I have been searching quite a bit but did not find anything that was of any help, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

Don't know whether you solved this, but has the prong that engages the slot been put on upside down? i.e. should it project into the body, rather than out?

I have a very similar lens, so maybe I can take pictures if you are still in difficulty?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, never did figure it out. The thing about the prong is that I've never removed from the ring in the first place but I think someone else suggested that same thing and I have tried mounting it pointing down but it just doesn't fit that way.
I love to DIY but at this point I'm looking for someone to do it for me as I just can't figure it out Confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ace wrote:
No, never did figure it out. The thing about the prong is that I've never removed from the ring in the first place but I think someone else suggested that same thing and I have tried mounting it pointing down but it just doesn't fit that way.
I love to DIY but at this point I'm looking for someone to do it for me as I just can't figure it out Confused

I'll open my lens tomorrow and have a look......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

Hi Jay, photos as promised....

Just to make sure it's the same lens...

Take out these screws and...

This is what I see. The Aperture lever engages in this slotted pillar. There
is also a ball detent which fits into a hole with a spring that locates in one of two slots in the manual/auto change ring.

If you take off the lever, the whole ring comes off too. The tab on the lever points DOWN towards the front of the lens and the lever is located UNDER the bowden cable.
This suggests to me that the ring on your lens is correct, but you need to take out the two screws that hold the lever in place, turn it the other way up and refix with the two screws.

This is where everything fits. Beneath the aperture change ring is another detent balls which fits in a hole beneath the "f8" symbol engraved on the outside. This is spring loaded too.

Hope this might help some.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a lot for doing that. I really appreciate it!
Unfortunately your lens is very similar but on the inside they are different and the prong on mine just can not be mounted the other way. It's shaped differently than yours and there is just no room for it if it was mounted upside down.

Thanks again Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ace wrote:
That a lot for doing that. I really appreciate it!
Unfortunately your lens is very similar but on the inside they are different and the prong on mine just can not be mounted the other way. It's shaped differently than yours and there is just no room for it if it was mounted upside down.

Thanks again Very Happy

I noticed that your prong was a different shape, but it looked like it could be inverted. I think the differences might be because mine is the electric version. Oh well, at least you know where the two balls go now. Maybe someone else has the exact same lens as yours and can help? Best of luck.