Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyprus with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 [C&C]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Cyprus with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 [C&C] Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was recently visiting my sister on Cyprus and finally got to “really” use the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens. I pretty much forced myself to use it since the only other lens I had along was the EBC Fujinon 50mm f/1.4, but the Samyang proved to be an excellent travelling lens. Below are some of the results with this lens on full frame digital. (Larger sizes in my flickr.)

Here's the climb to Buffavento Castle atop the Kyrenia mountain range in what is called the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC):

The climb up the winding stairs and paths took about 30 minutes was surprisingly arduous, especially the way up when the sun was still shining and it was well over 30°C (in the shade).

(Can not decide which of the two similar photos is better.)

The view from the top might have been worth the effort, though:

Nearby is the huge flag of T.R.N.C. painted onto the mountainside, much to the chagrin of the Greek Cypriots who can see it very clearly from their side of the border. The flag even lights up and blinks at night! To add the final insult, next to the flag they've painted a slogan which, I'm told, translates roughly as “Happy to be Turks”.

Handheld panorama with the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 when standing atop the flag itself:

To see how the flag looks like from distance I'll add this not-so-successful panorama taken with the EBC Fujinon 50mm f/1.4 (all other photos with Samyang 14mm):

(Or see how it looks from quite a long way away.)

I'll post some more shots once I've had some more time to pick and process. Meanwhile critique and comments are welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this was shot with your A900? There seems to be a lot of distortion in the corners, but then again, I've never had the opportunity to shoot anything that wide on full frame yet (widest i have is Zuiko 21/2), so perhaps it's not out of the normal range.

Great shots btw!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang looks very nice! What do you thin about this lens? Sharpness, contrast?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures from the top!! By the way how were your knees on the way down?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
Samyang looks very nice! What do you thin about this lens? Sharpness, contrast?

In my opinion everything else is great optically, except the heavy barrel distortion. However, it has not been corrected in any of the shots posted above, and it does not usually bother me. I think it can even make a landscape look more “dynamic”… But for architecture, narrow city streets, etc it is very obvious. I still don't generally correct it, but anyone into those kinds of shots might wish to research the lens carefully and test how much effort the correction takes in their workflow.

Physically the build is similar to Samyang 85mm f/1.4; plastic but decent manual focus feel.

mo wrote:
Beautiful pictures from the top!! By the way how were your knees on the way down?

The way down was actually not a problem at all for me, the sun was no longer on the stairs/path. And in general I don't recall ever having trouble with my knees. My soles were already sore from the 30-40 km I walked the previous day in Nicosia (got a little lost while exploring the side streets) and the climb up was hard on the thighs… Stomping to ward off any lurking snakes also added to the effort, although in the end we did not see any snakes. (But we'd heard that sometimes the path may be crawling with them.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to post this shot of murals in an old Orthodox Church (on the Greek side of Cyprus, I don't know how the Turks have treated the ones on theirs):

This is also with the Samyang 14mm. A good thing that I didn't notice the small “no photography” sign before I took a few shots.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I am looking for fast wideangle lens for astrophotography. Distortions are not a big problem, but i am worried about stars, because they are small shiny dots, and will lens deal with it without comas..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series ! I love them all!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series and number 4 is my favourite!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, Arkku!

No.4 is a shot to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, I like 4 and the church

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is a hot issue in my town... greta pictures anyway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

death wrote:
This lens is a hot issue in my town

Why?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot with the Samyang 14mm, this time up close and at wide aperture, showing the bokeh of this ultra-wide:

And another just for fun:

(Missed focus due to cat suddenly approaching under minimum focus distance. =)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tharos for the explanations Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Check out the Lenstip site Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
Thanks!
I am looking for fast wideangle lens for astrophotography. Distortions are not a big problem, but i am worried about stars, because they are small shiny dots, and will lens deal with it without comas..

Here they talk about just that:

Hm, somethings wrong. The link didn´t show up, sorry. Probably some commonly known posting rules that I´m not aware of? Maybe now?
(www)lenstip.com/239.7-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC_Coma_and_astigmatism.html

According to them it´s under control and has a medium astigmatism of 1%.
Ehum... you´ll work that part out yourself huh? Wink