Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

C\Y Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on Canon 7d: Newbie alert! (C&C)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: C\Y Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on Canon 7d: Newbie alert! (C&C) Reply with quote

I just started this passion a few months ago, I'm realizing it's more difficult than I thought, but I'm enjoying it.
So I borrowed a damaged C\Y Zeiss 50mm 1.4... it's not in perfect shape, lens scratched, its iris is stuck at 1,4 so can't modify it.
Despite this, this lens is blowing me away.

Last night I took a few shots at home, while we were trying to clean Leone's filthy ears.
Light's only coming from the 3 small bulbs placed on the mirror, on the side. pretty much a Low light Situation
Focusing at 1.4 with a moving and irritated dog is damn difficult.
So I tryied to precompose, then zoomed x10, focused on his eyes and click-shoot-out-blind at x10 before he moved.
Unfortunately his ear is clipped, But dang, I'm pretty happy anyways!

1/80, F1.4, 1250 ISO A little of PS editing for colors and sharpness.

Last edited by molokaio on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like second one more but it is oversharpened? or too much contrast? You can see that on a hand/fingers and fur but nice try and I do like colors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use built in upload , several month or year later your post will be not visible and thread will be useless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the lens fixed, it is stellar at f/2.8 on Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi attila, I tried it but the links were broken even putting them in a second post. I read somewhere it's a restriction to new users.
I am going to edit it later because I'm on a mobile phone now.

Thanks a lot for the c&c. I only applied a highpass filter, so probably contrast is my real problem.. it always is in my edits, I still need to learn a good balance.
In the first one there seems to be too much sharpness as well but its contrast again, because i added a b&w layer and playing with blending modes fur came out tack sharp. But it seemed cool so I kept it. Laughing

I'll try to fix these problems and post the raw pix as well.
Thanks a lot guys! This forum is helping me out a lot looking at the amazing shots and info!

Yeah its an amazing lens. I'll try to get it indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure no problem if that was intended, pp i mean. I do love playing in Photoshop or similar myself but it is easy to overdo. Sometimes u need a bit of time break if u want to have a second look at things. I do like composition on2nd one better though. BTW I am canon 7d user myself and love it but love old analogue Minolta more I think There is nnothing better than film although it is inferior to digital from technical point of view

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I overdid I think. Thanks a lot for the tips!
It was a look I liked but I dont have a balanced eye for these things yet, thats why i love your c&c. I really appreciate.
Contrast is a huge problem for me. I always overdo!

I'm "lucky" to have inherited my dads leica gear. That's one of the reasons why I'm diving into photography. Always loved it since I was a kid but never had the guts to experiment with film, since it can be very expensive... but a few months ago I discovered by accident on a guitar forum (aha go figure, Im a guitar player as a hobby) that I could use my lenses on a canon digital cam! So after 10 years in a closet theyre coming back on the field.

When I'll feel ready Im going to try film absolutely!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for kind words, I have started photography from digital, kodak compact, fujifilm super zoom and after that my first dslr konica minolta 5d, sony a700, canon 7d plus lenses, lenses, lenses. But I was still missing something I always wanted to try film, cameras are very cheap nowadays so I got about 10 right now, mostly MF Minoltas, I have tried to develop b&w film myself after about 6 months with great success and to be honest it is very easy, much easier than it looks. After a while I got lazy and found a good local lab, I buy film from them and develop there with prints and then I scan film myself with a scanner for which I have paid next to nothing. It is all relatively cheap as I do not do many films plus I don't smoke or have any other addictions Wink. Over all I am quite pleased with result and there is nothing better than smell of film and ability of handling film. old cameras and other stuff. It might be a sickness but it a nice one and does not harm anyone Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the original post using the forum's uploader.
Hope they're ok.
As soon as I have a little time, I'll fix them with less sharpening and less contrast. And add the untouched raw.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thank you! Look forward your next!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
Sometimes u need a bit of time break if u want to have a second look at things.

Wise words Wink