Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Curious about non-retrofocus wideangles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Curious about non-retrofocus wideangles Reply with quote

I've been reading a bit about the old non-retrofocus super-wide angle lenses for 35mm SLR cameras. Most seem to have been made in the 1960s, and can only be used with the camera's mirror locked up. They also require a viewfinder that fits in the camera's flash shoe. Two examples are the Canon FL 19mm f/3.5 and the Nikkor 2.1cm f/4. I have two questions about this type of lens.

First, are they sharper and do they have less distortion than similar retrofocus wideangles? Has anyone here ever used one? Are they worth the bother?

Second, are these lenses fairly inexpensive because they are more difficult to use, or are they rare, expensive collectors items? Thanks,

--Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time, they were surely sharper and more contrasted, because retrofocus wide angles require a lot of glasses. But with the current coating technology I think that the difference is not relevant anymore.
For sure a non retrofocus scheme makes for easier control of distortion.
One drawback of non-retrofocus is that they have more problems with corner vignetting.
I think that today, retrofocus wideangles are as good as non retrofocus. In fact Zeiss has started producing Distagons (retrofocus) also for rangefinder use.
However, a non-retrofocus wideangle of top quality like the Zeiss Biogon still has, in my opinion, that classical, very clean look, that I feel is still unmatched by retrofocus lenses. In other words, in my opinion, they are still worth having. But probably with reflex cameras the cumbersome use makes them not a good choice. Better stay with retrofocus ones, and use non-retrofocus with rangefinder cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, the only non retrofocus super wideangle lens in M42 is the yashinon DX 3,3/21mm. Its also a Biogon-Design. I have never seen some sample pictures.

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_yashica_21_3.3.htm

Ingo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you could get one to fit. A non-retrofocus wide angle would give very poor results on a DSLR.
Now that digital camera imaging is the norm I doubt any manufacturer would re-introduce a non retrofocus wide lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Even if you could get one to fit. A non-retrofocus wide angle would give very poor results on a DSLR.

Yes, light angle of incidence at the borders of frame is a bigger issue with digital sensors than it was with film.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the comments. It sounds like this type of lens would be fun to try if I every come across one at a really good price. But it isn't something I plan to go looking for. It looks like these lenses work better than expected on DSLR's. See this link for one used on a 5d.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/15mm_test1.html

--Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for you: I took a photo (not the best, I admit!) or two of the Jupiter 12 I have for my FED rangefinder. The rear glass elements sticks way back from the mount, almost all the way to the shutter. This lens apparently won't work with RF's that have e.g. metering bits near the shutter.

The other lens is a Takumar 35/3.5