Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CS (contax screw) adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: CS (contax screw) adapters Reply with quote

An interesting old thread here relating to CS adapters:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/spiratone-cs-mounts-and-t-mounts.334396/

Where adapters are concerned, there are no dull moments.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent ages measuring T2 mounts, CS and CY mounts, and you're right - there are no dull moments.

I picked up a strange 25 / 3.5 preset lens, branded 'INA' , which does not seem to reach infinity - it's nearly there. And the focus ring was all over the place, so I set about adjusting that to where it should be hoping that the stop was preventing it reaching infinity. But it's not, so I embarked on dragging out all my T mount lenses and measuring them accurately. There is some variation between mounts.

I have five T2 mounts, thinnest 9.46mm thickest 9.6mm. Average = 9.526. Difference = 0.14mm

I have two CS mounts, 9.61mm and 9.58mm. Difference = 0.03mm

And one CY mount that is 9.61mm

The CY will only fit one lens, a Hanimex ( Tokina ) 180 / 3.5 with a 47mm thread on the lens instead of the 42 x 0.75 thread for T mounts. But the CY was probably a variation of T so the thickness might be the same? 9.6mm is the same as the thickest T mount I've got.

The problem I have, and it's not easy to resolve, is I now think that the T2 and CS mounts have got mixed up from their original lenses in a few cases Rolling Eyes And some lenses seem to be ok with a slightly different mount thickness, but some aren't. The INA came without a mount so I just screwed one off a Soligor 400, the thickest one, I need to try the thinnest one and see if it reaches a sharp infinity. But of course, a 50 year old preset wide angle might not have been sharp from day one.

The CS mount was ( I think ) Miranda's baby, the two I have are chromed and marked CS. One was definitely on a Yashinon 135 preset and the other on a Tamron Twin Tele preset - but the other Twin Tele I've got came with a T2. And both CS mounts are two part mounts the same as T2

The 0.14mm variation is not a lot, it's 5.5 thou' for those of us that like inches. Slightly more than the thickness of ordinary printing paper - would that be enough to alter a lenses ability to reach infinity if the lens focus ring is up against the stop?
I need to try a good lens on a tripod, set it to infinity, wide aperture, tape the focus ring down, and then change the mounts.