Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crown Graflex Super Graphic - Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Crown Graflex Super Graphic - Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7 Reply with quote

I'm the proud owner of this camera and lens, but so far haven't made a start with it yet.
Any sage advice and tips on how to use this beast?

I was going to try to find large format colour film for it and do some portraits and landscapes, but maybe I should start with black and white.

It's not easy to focus this thing with any degree of confidence I have to say...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black and white for starting with, for sure - really cheap to learn with. The cost of having 4x5 colour processed by a good lab would make you blink so you really have to be sure it's a keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Polaroid (Fuji) film in mine and that 127 Ektar is incredible for both color and B&W. Mine is a 3x4 Anniversary and matches perfect with the Polaroid format. It is easy to add a Polaroid CB-103 back or cut down an old Land Camera like I did. They make a Polaroid back for the 4x5 but it is expensive and hard to find. The rangefinder focuses quite nicely and you can check the accuracy with the ground glass. The fun thing about that camera is that when you carry it around, strangers come up to you and want you to take their picture. A street photographer's dream...
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Miniature Speed Graphic, unfortunately with spring back, not Graflock.
Comes with Kodak 101/4.5 Ektar, wonderful lens. Have to wait some weeks until delivery here in Brazil from USA, pics will follow,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned this camera and lens, and to my undying regret I sold it many years ago.
I think that you will enjoy using it, and the results should be very good indeed.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the late reply.

OP, what exactly do you have? I ask because there's no such thing as a Crown Graflex. There are indeed Crown Graphics (official name Pacemaker Crown Graphic) and Super Graphics but they're very different cameras.

This isn't a good forum for getting help on using Graphics (press cameras made by Folmer & Schwing and successors) or Graflexes (SLRs made by the same companies). You'd do well to visit www.graflex.org, read the FAQs and look at posts on the help board.

Don't feel bad about scrambling the names. Graflex' nomenclature is very confusing.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Apologies for the late reply.

OP, what exactly do you have? I ask because there's no such thing as a Crown Graflex. There are indeed Crown Graphics (official name Pacemaker Crown Graphic) and Super Graphics but they're very different cameras.

This isn't a good forum for getting help on using Graphics (press cameras made by Folmer & Schwing and successors) or Graflexes (SLRs made by the same companies). You'd do well to visit www.graflex.org, read the FAQs and look at posts on the help board.

Don't feel bad about scrambling the names. Graflex' nomenclature is very confusing.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Hey thanks for that.

It's this one:

I'll do ome more research, but if you have any tips I woud be grateful...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User manual here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/super_speed/super_speed.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
User manual here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/super_speed/super_speed.htm

Ah of course, Butkus to the rescue.
This camera has more features than a cineplex!

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the shutters accuracy, starting with old lenses, many are out of tuning and will show an erratic exposure. Back in time I was in large format and local photo lab has a devise for speed examination, so, knowing all errors you can manage to get what you want.
The Ektar 127 mm was the basic lens for reporters, slightly wide, it is good for landscapes too, but is limited to tilts and shifting, the image circle is rather small. The Ektar 152 mm is superb, all Ektars are, it is normal lens for 4X5. Then you need some wide angle and tele and you set. I use to work with Crown Graphic as a field camera, striped of all unnecessary gadgets to save on weight. It was a heave packs of film holders, three lenses, camera and tripod. Oh, good old times!