Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cropping contest of silly image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I personally prefer is Carsten's. But I wonder why nobody thought of straightening the white building: since it's the focus of the picture, I think it really should be straight.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
But I wonder why nobody thought of straightening the white building

I did...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

The only crop I liked is an unconventional one. Wink

I like your crop. The only thing distracting is the light post to the right, but the crop gives a nice perspective.

/T

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing how you guys can make things disappear!
I hardly could but also found signs to the far left and right disturbing. took another route reducing contents / clustering of colors, made it square concentrating on the coop and forum letterings + having all the silver poles asf as prominent feature

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

Orio: Why not. Interesting idea. This is the purpose of the tread, to find different images within the image Smile
I would probably have cropped less tight on the left side for a less compressed look. on the building and rotating sign.

My idea was to work on the pattern of 3 :

to give the image a "rhythm" that would depure it from the confusion of the many chaotic elements.
For that I needed a tight crop, because the larger I would go, the more confusing elements I would add, and the weaker the geometric composition would be
(also I needed the two big poles to be roughly at the thirds in the composition).
If I could edit out parts (which was not allowed) I would have erased the small elements on top left, to leave there only sky

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

If I could edit out parts (which was not allowed) I would have erased the small elements on top left, to leave there only sky

quick fast example of what could be with a little erasing:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you wanna get rid of all the clutter, eh? Well, here's your answer:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Orio wrote:

quick fast example of what could be with a little erasing:

Very nice. With your phenomenal explanation in the earlier post I now understand your though and it is this kind of thinking I'd like to learn more of. Hopefully I can start improving the composition and plan the shots better before taking them Very Happy

Thank you all again for all contributions.

BR
/T

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

Very nice. With your phenomenal explanation in the earlier post I now understand your though and it is this kind of thinking I'd like to learn more of. Hopefully I can start improving the composition and plan the shots better before taking them Very Happy
Thank you all again for all contributions.
BR
/T

There is an Italian photographer who is famous for this type of geometrical compositions, Franco Fontana:

In the long run, I find this type of images sterile (I can stand a few of them, not a whole book). However, with some contemporary urban landscapes, it can be the only way to give the photos some aesthetical interest, as today's architecture per se can feel really cold.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio. Must check up on that guy.