Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crippled Tessar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Crippled Tessar Reply with quote

Hello everybody, hope you can help me out:

I bought a cheap old CZJ Tessar 210mm f/4.5 only to find it was missing the second element (the negative flint in the middle). I was going to make a frame and bellows for it to use it on a APS-C DSLR ('cause that's all I have at the moment) or maybe a large format or "scanner" view camera.

Also I must mention I'm by no means an optician, mostly just experimenting with different setups for different "looks".

As it is it works pretty fine for close up ("macro") but I have no use for another macro lens.

If I just use the rear group I could make a simple long focal (which I could focus up to infinity and add the movements I wanted in the 1st place) but it seems to have a lot of CA and coma which again would be fine for a certain soft look but—one can imagine—not what I was looking for in a Tessar.

I'm pretty stumped and open to suggestions so if you have any other ideas (except finding a replacement 2nd element, which would be improbable) I'd be most grateful if you'd share. I could maybe have the element custom made but I don't know its parameters.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that repair attempts are worth while - if so, the best option would be to find another cheap copy with scratched front/rear element or defective iris.

I assume that it is one of the usual GDR (or USSR - they produced licensed copies) large format barrel mount Tessars? If so bear in mind that common sizes (and 210 and 150 are the two most common ones) are dirt cheap, at about 40-100€ for excellent to mint/new copies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large format, yes, but we might have different interpretations of "dirt cheap", as this one only cost me about 15€ Smile
So I'm not complaining, I figure the excellent diaphragm is worth at least as much, but obviously I won't rest until I've exhausted all options.
It was blind luck finding this thing in the 1st place so I really doubt running into any large or medium format cheap lens, let alone another 210mm CZJ.
I guess my perspective control project will have to wait. Maybe I'll just use this iris and an achromatic doublet for that.
If you have other ideas please share.

PS: and do keep in mind I'm practically living in the Third World here. OK, Second. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiveseveN wrote:
Large format, yes, but we might have different interpretations of "dirt cheap", as this one only cost me about 15€ Smile

But it is missing a lens... If it is in a good condition and you pick up another one with good meniscus (the inner lens is likely to be good even on a otherwise wasted lens as long as it has no fungus) for the same price, you have a good one for 30€ - whether that is a bargain or not depends on the value you assign to the labour you sank into it.