Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crete/Greece 1973 - with Praktica Super TL and Meyer lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Crete/Greece 1973 - with Praktica Super TL and Meyer lenses Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tons of slides and films archived. Round about 30 years from 1970 up to 2000/2001 when the digital photography started.

Beginning this year I started to scan and archive this ten thousand of pictures digitally. I bought for my Coolscan 5000 ED the automatic slide feeder SF-210 and now I have every morning 50 new pictures on the MAC.

Now I´m in 1973 and because it is holiday time I thought to present some shots of this area. I was a student and had the chance to visit Crete and Athen in October 1973.

May be that some of you remember that during this time a military dictatorship with Georgios Papadopoulos was in power. I believe until 1974.

So the first what I saw when I arrived at Heraklion airport was a soldier and his tommy gun he held on the passengers.

I spent 10 days at the south coast of Crete. The name of the little village was/is Agia Galini. I remember me that there were 5 policemen and perhaps 10 tourists within this little village. No hotel, no reasonable restaurant - nothing. Then I moved to Athen to visit this town.

In the following years I visited very often Greece and Crete as well but unfortunately I never visited this little village again.

Hopefully I didn´t bore you with my blah blah ... Wink and here are some shots

Kap Sounion

Agia Galini Shocked

Thanks for reading, viewing and any comments.

Rolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see these now old pictures... I am old enough to relate with those times... keep them coming.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very atmospheric... Somehow I've caught an old Daryl Hannah movie shot in Greece a couple of times lately... Summer Lovers is the name. Came out 9 years after you took your pics. Just an assocation.

Oh, Daryl is a photographer in the movie. Wink

I love #1, evocative

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, great predigital memories !
I was in Galini in 2001. It is for me one of the best place in Crete
It must be quite different than in 1973

reala Zeiss 35mm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
It must be quite different than in 1973 ....

Hi poilu,

you say it. Really quite different. I´m sure that I will find a shot like yours from 1973. Have to look in the archive.

Thanks for your reply

Rolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

here is it.

Nearly the same position 28 years before. That´s great, that´s really great !!

Thanks poilu.

Rolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see the comparison !!!

Bad to see they built more houses Sad
And vegetation in the far hill has also regressed a lot Sad must have been years of drier climate in between.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same place in 2007

Has changed a lot but I don't think it has lost its charm. Crete is a wonderful island full of exploration.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice documentary atmosphere, Rolf!

I like the film rendition ..

tf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip in the first serie of photos, especially 4 and 6 th pic, well done Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set, Rolf, 1,4, and 5 are my faves.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from any artistic merits, the great strength of photography is the historical records it provides. Great find Rolf and those comparison shots really bring everything to life

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great series!
I was on Crete in the late seventies, but I don't think my slides from that time would be of such fine quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really excellent series of historical pics, especially the details of waterfront development.
Looks like an interesting place, but maybe a bit too busy for my taste in the main season. I think I would have preferred the 1973 village.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice comparsion, thanks.

Farside wrote:
I think I would have preferred the 1973 village.

Same here Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for all your comments and the new pictures of this village. May be that in 1973 the water front looks more contemplative but if you looked behind you could also find something like this

or that

Very rustic-style Very Happy

Rolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it's full of rustic charm Smile
Back in '73 I wouldn't have cared, though.