Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crazy test shots from Sp 60-300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Crazy test shots from Sp 60-300 Reply with quote

Crazy or amazing test shots from the Tamron SP 60-300mm Done today at f8 400asa on the Pentax K100D

60mm view full frame

100% Crop

Same spot 300mm view full frame

100% Crop

Extreme crazy blow up of that How many dare (or crazy enough) to show such an enlargment from a lens? This would be a 40 inch print.

If you look at the first shot you will see the two men. We are counting the buttons on the man’s shirt from over a mile away. I didn’t even see the pair with the naked eye from my viewpoint
More at http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronadaptall

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I have recognized the AMAZING Lebanon Cedar!

Your picture is still waiting to find its way to my trees site - with full credit given, of course!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Shocked Hand held Question

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!

And this is done with "just" 6 MPix.
Imagine this lens at the new K10D!

Carsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad !!! Smile
I challenge anybody to post anything comparable. Anybody got a 28-300 zoom ! Laughing

hand held firmly against bridge rail. 1/800 the reason I was using 400asa
I am in a real dilemma as to which is my sharpest 300mm. The Tamron SP 60-300 zoom or the SP 300mm prime? I took the 60-300 deer shooting this afternoon and again results were great sharpness wise although the deer refused to pose in the open.

may not be better on !0 million. On the Sony Alpha that black tree detail would be lost in digital noise 400asa wouldn't go up 300+% and not have massive noise problem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Oh I have recognized the AMAZING Lebanon Cedar!

Your picture is still waiting to find its way to my trees site - with full credit given, of course!!

Orio, I might be wrong, but I believe the tree to the right of the Cedar might be an English Elm. This species was almost completely wiped out in the 70s by a disease we called Dutch Elm Disease, although I don't think it had any particular connection with Holland. It would be amazing if this is true - I haven't seen a mature Elm since about 1978!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Orio, I might be wrong, but I believe the tree to the right of the Cedar might be an English Elm. This species was almost completely wiped out in the 70s by a disease we called Dutch Elm Disease, although I don't think it had any particular connection with Holland. It would be amazing if this is true - I haven't seen a mature Elm since about 1978!!

It surely may be an Elm. The skeleton structure, with the strongly upwards turned main branches, is all that of an Elm.

The Elm disease (Graphiosis) unfortunately will lead all Elm species to a sure extinction, unless man finds a way to genetically stop the disease.

Some species of Elm are more resistant than others, and in the gardens they are trying to make crossovers of species to fight the plague.

In Italy, there are still several elms resisting, but mostly as shrubs. They rarely reach the adult age.

There is a very famous, big and old one, however, not too distant from where I live, in the province of Modena.

That tree is some hundreds years old (I can't remember how many) and there is a very nice story about it.

During the last years of the last war, when Italy was the theater of a hard fight, people were of course suffering from hunger and cold. The winter of 1944 was especially cold, as all chronicles report. The gas was reserved for the military use. People warmed themselves as they could: burning the house furniture, the books, the farm animals excrements, and of course the trees.
When the allied troops arrived in the province, the American commander noticed the big old tree, near to his headquarters, and understood its botanical value. Knowing well the conditions of the population, he orderered that the tree was guarded day and night by sentinels, to prevent people from cutting it to make woods. And note, that they were still fighting! So he presumably needed all his men.
I always found this story, somehow, moving. I hope that someday someone will make a film out of it.

The tree is still living. I have planned a visit for when he will have the leaves on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Rob. Impressive sharpness. No fringe at all.
I was about to ask you about the distance when I saw that " over a mile". Are you sure about it? It blown my mind.
Sorin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rob

I have this 60-300 and the SP 5.6/300 too.
I had the Tamon 28-300 DI-version too.

1. The 28-300 is not really 300mm on the long end but more like 25/270 mm.
2. The 60-300 blows it away at 200 and 300/max
3. the 5.6 is much better than the 60-300 at closer distances, near infinity they are on par (or the 60-300 even better)

BTW: I sold the 28-300 again - hey, it's an AF-lens Wink

The Tamron 70-300 DI AF is much better and can compete much better with the 60-300.

@all
Yes, the SR-system of the Pentax K100D is superb!
Have this 100D a few weeks now and I'm very impressed about the difference in sharpness that it brings (compared to handheld shots with 1/125 to 1/500 sec)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.. I can’t comment on the AF 28-300 as I have never tried one. Your other summaries are the same as mine. It is very difficult to see a difference between the SP 300mm prime and the SP 60-300mm at 300mm. The prime 300mm does have better close performance.

I have the Tamron 70-300 LD Di. It is an excellent lens but not as good at 300mm as the SP 300 or the SP 60-300, but not very far of. It is also about half a true stop slower than the other two that f5.6 isn’t true light gathering aperture. It is certainly the best consumer 70-300 zoom available although I worry about its build quality. I tried two Sigma 70-300 APO models and both were plain bad at 300mm the only better I know of (AF) is the old Sigma 75mm -300 APO which I used to have on the Minolta and Alpha. There is a difference as this old model used to cost about ?300 while the new 70-300 APO models are half the price.

I love my Pentax, its a real photo Tool. I changed from Canon to Minolta then a forced change to Sony Alpha but I can't see me leaving Pentax. Same as my film days I consider my first real camera was the Pentax SL (Still have it) I then moved to Nikon but found I was still using Pentax most of the time. even when I had a F3 I would still prefer to pull out the SL or an SV and shoot full manual with a Master V round my neck

I hope you will join in with my Tamron Adaptall flickr gallery and post some of your Tamron photos.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronadaptall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
I could share some test-shots if you want - but normally I delete them after my tests....
I'll take a look in my digital archives....
perhaps tomorrow....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly don't mind a few test shots but more general interest 'Real' photos are better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
BTW: I sold the 28-300 again ...

dto.

I also had this lens and sold it again. Nice as a travel lens at a film EOS with real 28-300, but only acceptable up to 200mm.
And I needed the money to get another lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old discussion but i Wanted to add that this lens is one of my favorite despite his weight.

I'v got the chance to have it Stabilized with my Pentax K10D.

Just a 2 picts to illustrate:

300mm, f5.6
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=igp8512bm1.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=igp6290oq3.jpg

Franck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEry, very nice!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoot niblue !

I would like to know which aperture you've use. Closing a bit surely increase the sharpness.

My Seagull was shoot at f5.6 becouse I've got a pb with my K10d. I cloud not close any lens, amazing!

But i found the sharpness already no so bad :

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ! Especially from a zoom lens!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franck wrote:
Nice shoot niblue !

Quote:
Have you set the custom function to allow use of the aperture ring? Are you shooting in manual mode and then pressing the green button near the shutter release to use stop-down metering?

My K10D stops down fine with manual lenses however it doesn't always meter properly at smaller apertures with pre-A lenses.

Yes I know the right way do it and I use PK-A mount. If you've got a PK mount and worked in manuel, you have sometime to correct a little the metering of the DSLR, not so easy do! But most of the time it works

When I realised that my problem occur even on recent lens like DA16-45mm, I decide to send back my K10D to Pentax, poor me ! javascript:emoticon('Sad')Sad Crying or Very sad ! Hopefully still under warranty... javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')Very Happy