Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crappy Tele-Takumar 300/6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Crappy Tele-Takumar 300/6.3 Reply with quote

At least that is what two fellow photographers have called this lens. Of course, neither has actually USED the lens. Laughing

One of the guys said "it probably isn't much good, it's so slow"...

So when does a lens become crappy from "slowness"? Razz

Anyway, here is a quick shot of the old "standby" group of Daffodils.

Looks to me like it isn't crap after all!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar 300/6.3 is a bit of an odd lens. It does have a good reputation for performance though. I have been looking for a cheap one for quite some time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Takumar 300/6.3 is a bit of an odd lens. It does have a good reputation for performance though. I have been looking for a cheap one for quite some time.

Yeah, I have been watching for a cheaper 300mm lens for a while too. I will eventually obtain the Sonnar 300/4, but wanted something that would at least be good enough for now.

I got this one for about $30, so I figured it was worth a try. I don't really care about speed, as most of my stuff is landscape anyway.

Yes, I thought it was rather an oddity too. I really didn't even know a Tele-Tak 300/6.3 existed until I saw it for sale.

It actually has a rather nice collapsible lens hood, not the usual "too short" lens hoods that sometimes are pinned onto tele lenses.

Here's a couple more - not processed, cropped.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was going to come in and say "Hey, I'll be glad to take your crappy lens, if only you'd pay for shipping" but I guess that was not the point of the thread Smile

I like the mountain range shot quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Ah, I was going to come in and say "Hey, I'll be glad to take your crappy lens, if only you'd pay for shipping" but I guess that was not the point of the thread Smile

I like the mountain range shot quite a bit.

Thanks Raw: Yes, it seems to be just fine, and will eventually be a very nice backup to the Sonnar 300. Thanks for the comment on the mountain shot. The Tele-Tak 6.3 seems to be fairly sharp overall, and has an acceptable amount of fringing...a little bit there, but not very much at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mountain range is really an excellent landscape shot.
Seems to be a nice enough lens.
I'm searching for at reasonably priced 300mm myself, mostly for wildlife photo I think. In that case I guess speed can be a bit more important.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw lot of your nature work. I like it very much and here it is not the exception.

I like your contaflex 126 job too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Larry
For $30 who can complain.
Curious about the build quality.
Does it fall in line with the rest of the Takumar family?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Laurence!! Very Happy
The only time you will get a crappy Takumar is when it's broken Sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare youi get one before I do!!! LOL You know I've been wanting one of these Laurence! Crappy is as Crappy uses it in my book. I don't know what some people expect from a lens many years older than they are. In my experience and use the tele takumars are very good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mountain shot is incredible, Larry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these myself, and although its not as contrasty being from the early super-takumar era as a later S-M-C or SMC lens it performs extremely well. being a 6.3 and a takumar makes it quite small and light given what it is, ands this generally makes it easily hand holdable. the preset aperture is of course excellent. im curious about your lens hood because I am not aware of pentax ever making a collapsable lens hood for this lens. is it an aftermarket piece? mine has a typical screw on takumar metal hood 58mm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to find any early Takumar that does not perform respectably and in many cases beautifully. I do no own this 300mm but but do have the f4 300mm (I think its f4 - I have not used it for a while.) Its sharp and its only sin is not very nice bokeh. The bokeh on your lens looks pretty good though. The slow Takumars like this one are especially good. The f5.6 200mm is another of these great performing sharp lenses. I once picked up a mint one of those lenses a bargain bin for $15.

In total I have around 20 or so Takumars, auto Takumars, Tele Takumars SMC Takumars etc - often variants and variants of variants. They are all interesting and fun. I am not using them much and should really offer them for sale as without exception they are in great condition but I find it hard to part with them especially the more sought after ones like the various 85mms. I do use them a bit on a digital body - a Panasonic L1 but should really do so more often.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for ALL of your interesting replies!

I mistakenly said the hood is a retractable type hood. It is actually a screw-on hood. A very effective screw-on hood, I might add.

I am looking forward to using the Takumar 300/6.3 on my Sigma SD-14.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: adaptor for SMC 55mm Taks Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
In total I have around 20 or so Takumars, auto Takumars, Tele Takumars SMC Takumars etc -

Hi Peter, I'm accumulating a collection of these too, and have a couple that are causing a little grief - the 55mm SMC 1.8 & 2 lenses - they dont just have a pin they have another chunk of metal that scrapes into the inner edge of the m42/EOS adaptor and then the auto/manual switch jams. Do you know what I mean??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
It is difficult to find any early Takumar that does not perform respectably and in many cases beautifully.

Well, mostly. It's not that the Takumar is necessarily bad, it's just that the (newer) competition is much better. The 300mm is definitely aged, and surpassed by the competition. I tested my S-M-C Takumar 300/4 against two other 300mm lenses (Nikkor*ED 300/4.5 and CZJ Sonnar 300/4), and it certainly trails them quite noticeably in CA, less so in sharpness.

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-takumar-300-4-nikkor-ed-if-300-4-5-sonnar-300-4-t18249.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: adaptor for SMC 55mm Taks Reply with quote

scottyea wrote:
peterm1 wrote:
In total I have around 20 or so Takumars, auto Takumars, Tele Takumars SMC Takumars etc -

Hi Peter, I'm accumulating a collection of these too, and have a couple that are causing a little grief - the 55mm SMC 1.8 & 2 lenses - they dont just have a pin they have another chunk of metal that scrapes into the inner edge of the m42/EOS adaptor and then the auto/manual switch jams. Do you know what I mean??

Yes, but that's perfectly normal. The little pin needs to be depressed before the A/M switch can be set. Anyway, on a DSLR you wouldn't want to have the switch on "Auto".