Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Could this big cine projector lens be used today?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Could this big cine projector lens be used today? Reply with quote

This is a soviet-era cine projector lens.
These were made in at least 2 sizes and that's the bigger one.
Any Idea 's, could it be useful for something today?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do image circle / register distance test: some bright object about 3 meters away in a dim room. Point the lens on that object and put a white paper behind the lens. If you get some usable sort of picture at a reasonable distance, you have kind of a lens. If you want infinity, point it to some distant bright object (not the sun maybe ..).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a standard lens? or Anamorphic? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

Do objects get squished when you look through the lens?

If it is Anamorphic, they become much harder to use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, this is not a projection lens, it is just an anamorphic adapter meant to be used
in front of a projection lens for wide screen projection

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
NO, this is not a projection lens, it is just an anamorphic adapter meant to be used
in front of a projection lens for wide screen projection

Could it be, this quite long piece has both, a projection lens with an adapter built together?
In youtube, there were some clips about a much shorter glass with a different part number nap2-3, they told this was an adapter.

This longer piece has an part number NAP2-4
(Sorry I did not yet upload more pics.)

But what I wanted to ask is:
Could this lens somehow be used in modern projectors?
(To use it on cameras does probably not make much sense.)

PS
The microscope in the same pic (which sits in an adapter for a bigger mount) is there just for fun, it's not related to the projector lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the glass has become opaque it can be used. It might not be particularly useful but it will still work. It's lenses with electronic focus/aperture that tend to be more difficult to jury rig. Twisted Evil

If it's just the anamorphic adapter, holding it in front of a camera lens will give a image stretched in one dimension relative to the dimension at 90° This might allow some interesting experiments, but digital images are easily rescaled to different proportions so I'm not sure if there's anything to gain, but that's never stopped me experimenting with things Smile.
If it includes the projector lens as well, the two can be separated and the projection lens used for imaging. Mounting the lens might be awkward, but I wouldn't expect the registration on a lens that size to be short enough to make infinity focus impossible on a mirrorless camera.
If you already have a suitable camera you can experiment with free lensing - though this can get your sensor rather mucky, unless you rig up something to keep the dust out...