Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Conversion for Rokkors: Body or Lenses ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What method do you prefere for adapting Rokkor on EOS
Body conversion (MD-EOS flange )
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Lens conversion
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Conversion for Rokkors: Body or Lenses ? Reply with quote

The MC/MD lenses can be converted , as we've seen through a process that some could name lens buchery and others ,lens surgery , at least for using on a Canon EOS body (register 44mm vs 43.5 -MC/MD).
On the other hand , there is the possibility of changing the EOS flange with the special MD flange ( http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/news.html ), thus adapting the body.
Which method do you think is more suited to your needs and preferences?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted my Rokkors knowing that I have no intention of ever selling them thus I'm more happy with the lens conversion than a body conversion. Just my opinion but I think an EOS converted MD lens would find much more use than an unconverted MD lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would convert the body.

Benefits:
* Reversible
* Can pick up new lenses at any time without having to convert each one, one by one
* Increases resale value of body
* Preserves value of lenses (MF lens prices have been increasing lately - the opposite of the falling DSLR body prices!)
* Will work for any lens of the mount (not just a select few, or with some easier than others)
* Less risk of damage during conversion (stripped screws, lost springs/pins, metal filings, scuffs, etc)
* Allows you to test lenses quickly (without having to do the work to convert a lens first, and then finding out that it is a dud).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to reversibly convert some Rokkors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
I converted my Rokkors knowing that I have no intention of ever selling them thus I'm more happy with the lens conversion than a body conversion. Just my opinion but I think an EOS converted MD lens would find much more use than an unconverted MD lens.

+1

Me, i converted with great success:

MC Rokkor 1.7/85
MD Rokkor 1.7/85
MD W Rokkor 2/28
MC Rokkor - PG 1.4/50mm

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.Seems to me that body conversion suits better those who:
-have no/lower skills/tools for manufacture
-have a resonable enough (quality and number) selection of Rokkor lenses to jutify investing in a body only for them.
-have a style using wide to short telephoto lenses (FF and APS-C)
II.The lens conversion seems to me better to those who:
-have the skills and tools to do it
-have a few (1-3) rokkor lenses
-have a style using wide to short teleohoto lenses (FF and APS-C)
III.For the photographers who like the normal to telephoto lenses (birds,animals ), probably the better option is a m4/3 body

Last edited by yinyangbt on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Seems to me that body conversion suits better those who:
-have a resonable enough (quality and number) selection of Rokkor lenses to jutify investing in a body only for them.
-have a style using wide to low telephoto lenses (FF and APS-C)
The lens conversion seems to me better to those who:
-have the skills and tools to do it
-have a few (1-3) rokkor lenses
-have a style using wide to low teleohoto lenses (FF and APS-C)
For the photographers who like the normal to telephoto lenses (birds,animals ), probably the better option is a m4/3 body

That is a good point about the number of lenses you have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

As I understand the body conversion for full frame, one has to shave the camera mirror to use the lenses unmodified.
I think mirros shaving on an EOS 5D I or II ist not an easy job to do. The conversion of the Rokkor 58/1.2 seems more easy for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

As I understand the body conversion for full frame, one has to shave the camera mirror to use the lenses unmodified.
I think mirros shaving on an EOS 5D I or II ist not an easy job to do. The conversion of the Rokkor 58/1.2 seems more easy for me.

yes, you are right .I was talking especially for APS-C since I use that .I should say that . The 5D conversion is indeed dificult ,it goes in the second class