Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contemplating Street Shooting - Would Love Some Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Contemplating Street Shooting - Would Love Some Tips Reply with quote

I am antcipating going across the water to Seattle to shoot "street" images.

Before I go there, can any of you provide me with some general "tips" on shooting this way?

One thing I think I'll have to overcome is the hesitation that I sometimes feel in bringing the camera up to my eye to photograph people who are looking my way. Confused

I would be using the Bessa R along with the CV90, (Andy's) CV35, and possibly the CV25 (also Andy's).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think anybody to tell you how to overcome your hesitation except yourself.
I’m sure you don’t consider you lack confidence, are shy or worse you are contemplating doing something wrong. You just have to reassure yourself and do it.
Imagine it is your job.
Your post says you are ‘Antcipating going across the water to Seattle to shoot "street" images’
Isn’t there somewhere close to home to start NOW. I would hate to think you are delaying your start!
As for tips. I feel there is no right or proven way to do Street shots, but is worth reading up on other people techniques and you might find some more suitable to your own style than others.
I am certain of some wrong Street shooting techniques. The first being hiding in the corner with a telephoto lens. This could guarantee trouble. Any attempt to hide your camera or motives could be and probably will be interpreted as ‘Furtive’, ‘Suspicious’ behaviour and you will be judged to be ‘Up to no good’. Of course there is nothing worse than a load of images showing the backs of peoples heads!
Waving your camera about, smiling and looking like a complete idiotic photo geek will get you completely ignored and allow you to take photos without any bother. Setting up a tripod in front of likely subjects is always a good way to make them lose interest in what you are doing.
I find I am now moving back to asking before I shoot. This technique has its problems and is harder for some people because one has to reassure your subject and get them to ignore you. That’s a lot harder than just taking the pic without permission but if you are comfortable talking to people and confident you don’t have to play with the camera you can get some great natural looking shots.
As for equipment. Wide lens is usually better I like 35mm. Any camera will do but it is best if not essential to have one that responds quick. You don’t want to be messing with focus too much, I usually use hyperfocal. Also useful and quick is a viewfinder that you don’t have to squint into, once the camera is at your eye the shot should be done. Your Bessa is of course ideal.

My own Street shots for November = 34 images.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64956578@N00/sets/72157609025876050/
My Flickr A/c requires you to sign into Yahoo and to have your censorship filters off.
See ‘Whats this about’

I also just posted a Street shot done this afternoon, on my Ricoh GX100 Post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to what was already written, a couple more tips:

1- start photographing near a place that is usually considered a photographic target. I don't know, a statue, a famous building, a bridge. People there is used to see other people photographing. This should help you break the ice.

2. The absolute best situation is when you can walk around together with a friend who also has a camera. This because people's mind is the following:
1 man with camera = a weirdo, maybe criminal, loner asocial person
2 men with cameras = they are photographer friends, probably there for a purpose, can be safe (usually maniacs don't work in couple)
So if you have a photographer friend you can walk around this could be best to break the ice. You have however to have enough discipline to not be distracted by the company and keep being focused on what happens around you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I see a scene, I go slowly to my shooting position without a look to the victim
I fire very fast, less than half second including focusing
then I run as fast as I can

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
when I see a scene, I go slowly to my shooting position without a look to the victim

A professional killer! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a loud shirt and make like a tourist. It works for me around here as Ireland is inundated with them and nobody thinks twice about themselves being photographed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob! THANK YOU for the comprehensive tips. Thank you for taking the time for me, I totally appreciate it.

And Orio, Dave, and poilu as well! I am going to talk to a friend and see if we can go together.

Regarding street shooting around here...it's actually pretty rural here, but on Bainbridge Island there is a "tourist street" with artist studios and bookstores and curio shops...that could be a good "target".

Thanks again all, I appreciate it.