Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8 CY why not popular?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He,he.I got two - one AE and one MM,which,to my astonishment,has better IQ.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another one Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I sprang for one of these, MJ flavor. Due to its low weight and small size it has replaced a 50mm f/1.4 Planar as my travel lens for this focal length. It doesn't focus as close as I would like and it's kind of slow, but, oh, the colors! As good as the Planar and 1/3 the weight. Here is one recent photo from Shenzhen, China. Shot as straight jpg in shade at f/4, no pp except cropping, Canon M6 set on neutral picture style.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think Ian got point , people silly enough to respect only fast lenses. 85mm f2.8 in same boat , I think lot better lens than 85mm f1.4 Planar.

I've often wondered why seperation and the then necessity for good bokeh has become such a must, and all I have thought through is that it is one thing that can seperate photographers from consumer photography (smartphones), although computational imaging appears to be putting paid to that.

In my youth and without the money to buy fast lenses, or any lenses that didn't require say f5.6 to get the best out of them, I had to find other ways of drawing the eye to where I wanted it to look on a photograph. I think I still have that habit a bit.

Maybe once consumer photography has solved the problem of narrow depth of field, photographers will all hark back in time and start shooting everything waist level on medium format to differentiate us Smile. Then of course smart phone makers will put ultra thin flip screens in their products Sad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember, as the tiny lens became on the market, it was quiet expensive, and not many people wanted to spend that amount of money. After a while the production got stopped and many people asking why! I got one for my RTSIII and AX and I am using it today still with Adapter on my SONY A7 and A6000 sucessfully!

Cheers

Rainer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
I remember, as the tiny lens became on the market, it was quiet expensive, and not many people wanted to spend that amount of money. After a while the production got stopped and many people asking why! I got one for my RTSIII and AX and I am using it today still with Adapter on my SONY A7 and A6000 sucessfully!

Cheers

Rainer

I'm using it mainly with one of my 139s, and sometimes an RTS II, or with my Nex 6

It's a great travel lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Contax Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8 CY why not popular? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
I'd really challenge anyone to differentiate, based on IQ alone, a Tessar 45/2.8 at 2.8 and a Takumar 50/1.4 or Planar 50/1.7 stopped down to 2.8, for example.

I know your challenge is older now than some peoples' kit lenses Smile but i would be suprised actually if i couldn't do that. The drawing style of the double gauss lenses being so different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has turned out to be an excellent travel lens for me due to its light weight, small size and good optical quality. The ergonomics are impossible, though, in cold weather. The controls rings are too narrow to operate while wearing gloves. Another negative is that there is enough focus shift that the lens needs to be focused at the working aperture. Last, I wish the MFD could be a little closer. Still, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. Here are a few results. As usual, these are jpgs straight out of the camera with no pp and neutral style setting on a Canon M6. I hope these are helpful to someone.

Incidentally, I used the little on-camera flash to fill in the shadows of the flowers in the third photo. If this lens matches your needs, I think it is well worth considering. What it is good at it is really good at.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens in a tiny package. Both are wide open on an older m43 sensor.