Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax/Yashica 28-85mm F3.3-4 feeling a little hazy...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Contax/Yashica 28-85mm F3.3-4 feeling a little hazy... Reply with quote

Hello all!

Long-time lurker here. I've been using the 28-85 on the Sony NEX series for some time and it was my go-to lens for weddings etc. and found it was fantastic! Unfortunately, when I pulled it out to test it on my recently-acquired A7 I discovered that it has developed a major haze problem Sad The last time I used it (6-9 months ago), it was in quite hot weather outdoors, but otherwise it has not had any other out-of-the-ordinary trauma that I know of. In terms of usage, the hazing is very obvious in any bright area in pictures e.g. the sky, a white piece of paper indoors etc. I showed the pics below to a camera repair group and they thought it was lens separation. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez… what an ugly picture! It doesn't seem fungus. Maybe deterioration of lens cement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. Do not leave lens in hot environment for a prolonged time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like either condensate (or lots and lots of fine dust) or coating deterioration. I think condensate is more likely as Zeiss *T coatings were quite sturdy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look closely it seems it is like condensation as aoleg mentioned. It will be more easy to confirm with other photos from different angles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like haze (condensation of smear droplets) after exposure to heat and subsequent cooling.Get it serviced to clean lenses off this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sure it is a fairly recent problem, I would get the lens cleaned as soon as possible. With any luck it might be residue from condensation, which could be cleaned. But I wouldn't leave it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
If you are sure it is a fairly recent problem, I would get the lens cleaned as soon as possible. With any luck it might be residue from condensation, which could be cleaned. But I wouldn't leave it.

Agreed, otherwise the lens will receive an unwanted soft focus feature.
OH