Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Sonnar 2.8/135, MM version...test photo.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Contax Sonnar 2.8/135, MM version...test photo. Reply with quote

Testing Attila's new upload tool Smile
This is a test shot I made today with a Contax Sonnar 2.8/135, MM version. It is hand-held at f/8, 200ISO, on the 5D:

What follows is the link to the full image not sharpened. The focus is on the decorated building on the left:

www.orio.ws/temp/czsonnar28-135-testff.jpg

As I also have the Elmarit-R 135 last version, one day I will probably make a head to head comparison. I have the suspect that the Sonnar may even beat it for sharpness, at least in the distant range.
Closer range may be tougher I think, as Elmarit is a superlative closeup performer, but I have seen some astounding portraits done with this Sonnar and it might be a tough challenge for Elmarit.

P.S. Note also the virtual absence of any visible chromatic aberration, even in the harshest areas.

P.P.S. And note the astounding side/corner performance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please compare with CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC or Zebra also if you have one of them. That is more exciting me than to compare to a Leica or Jupiter-137 also fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispy clear image. This is the one I want for a long time. Some day ....
Now enough with my little rant,, coming back to your picture, you have some spots up there in the sky.
I guess the sensor is the culprit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seriously impressive. Sharp and contrasty. Perhaps the rendition is slightly cool, or is this just because of the clear blue sky. In any even this is a lens I would be happy to own and use. I have no Contax SLR lenses but am beginning to think about getting some for use on my Panasonic L1 with an adapter. I have many Leica M and LTM lenses. What a shame I cannot use these on my digital camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a serious trouble you have one the finest lenses and you can use them on DSLR that is a shame.. Try to sell some of them and get best ones from R series and you will able to use on your DSLR.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica M lenses are generally regarded as being better than the R lenses, with some exceptions.
Since you already have them, I would keep them, and get a digital back for your Leica camera - or even better an all-digital Leica M8, which, now that they have fixe the technical problems, delivers impressive results.
-