Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax RTS III or Nikon F5 -- which would you buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice! RTS III plus 1.4/85 and 2/100mm ... I wonder which of the two lenses you'll prefer ?!

Ten years ago I sold my Minolta AF 2/100mm because I thought the MinAF 1.4/85mm plus the MinAF 2.8/100mm Macro would be sufficient ... but quite soon I did regret my decision and got a AF 2/100mm again. Lenses such as the 1.8/105mm Nikkor, the Min AF 2/100mm or the Canon nFD 2/100mm are really nice for portraiture.

Keep us informed about your experiences both with the RTS III and the lenses, please!

S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Contax RTS III very good, I have had it for a long time and it were the best non AF camera ever.

Today I prefer an AF camera because of my eyes, I´am now in an age that the AF is a very good support.

The best lenses of the world are worthless when you can´t focus it correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't know it, that at the PHOTOKINA 1998, an very first "prototype autofocus camera" was shown to camera experts, behind hotel doors, based on the CONTAX RTS III model, with an removable digital back, like the much later LEICA R9 digital camera!

This prototype "first digital camera" was market ready, before the later 2002 "first digital DSLR, the CONTAX N digital! KYOCERA/ZEISS made an decision, not to bring the real pro camera to the market!

At the Photokina 2000, the firm KYOCERA had there an so called special "PRO LOUNGE" for "professional photographers only", and I had the pleasure there, to show to the Pro's there, an wooden made black dummy model of the coming CONTAX N digital model, with an attached C/Y Zeiss PLANAR 1,4/50mm lens!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
Most people don't know it, that at the PHOTOKINA 1998, an very first "prototype autofocus camera" was shown to camera experts, behind hotel doors, based on the CONTAX RTS III model, with an removable digital back, like the much later LEICA R9 digital camera!

This prototype "first digital camera" was market ready, before the later 2002 "first digital DSLR, the CONTAX N digital! KYOCERA/ZEISS made an decision, not to bring the real pro camera to the market!

At the Photokina 2000, the firm KYOCERA had there an so called special "PRO LOUNGE" for "professional photographers only", and I had the pleasure there, to show to the Pro's there, an wooden made black dummy model of the coming CONTAX N digital model, with an attached C/Y Zeiss PLANAR 1,4/50mm lens!

Cheers

There were similar much earlier attempts at marketing a digital back by Minolta. At the Photokina 1986 they introduced the Still-Video-Back prototype, a removable digital back for the Minolta 7000 and 9000 cameras. In 1987 this actually went into production as the Minolta SB-70 & SB-90. It recorded the images on a floppy disk Wink. Very rare.

https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/esvc/item/minolta-sb70
https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/esvc/item/minolta-sb90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice to see my old thread revived -- again. Actually, I ended up making a decision. Sort of.

I bought a Contax 139 Quartz -- mostly because the seller included a Tamron SP 17mm with the C/Y Adaptall-2 mount. The listing didn't describe the lens and didn't even show it that clearly. You just had to know what the Tamron 17mm looked like to know that's what it was. The Tamron 17mm goes for about four times what I paid for that outfit. So, I did get a Contax, albeit one that barely qualifies when compared to the RTS III in terms of quality. However, it was the 139 Q that first made me wake up and pay attention to the way those cameras were made. Its film wind is one of the smoothest I've ever found.

I also thought seriously about the Nikon F5, but then I got to comparing it with the Nikon F100, and I concluded that there wasn't a big enough difference between the two to go with the much larger and heavier F5, so I bought an F100.

I still don't own any Contax lenses. But because I have that Tamron Adaptall-2 mount, and because I do have a large collection of Tamrons, at least I have a good selection of fairly decent lenses that I can use with the 139 Q. Oh well, maybe I'll pick up a 50 Planar one of these days . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came close at one time- while the 139-Q was still a new camera.
I was sorely tempted, just for the 50 Planar that came with it.
Fortunately, sanity made one of it's brief appearances, and I ended up getting something else.

As to the original question, neither. Mr. Green
I'd get a pristine chrome F2-AS and be done with it.
That is all personal taste, and nothing more...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I came close at one time- while the 139-Q was still a new camera.

Back in 1984 - I was fifteen then - I was lusting for a real camera to replace my Mamiya ZE/ZM SLRs. Leica M6 and even more so the New F-1 from Canon were on top of the list. I did have a Contax SLR brochure as well. Their cameras and especially the Zeiss lenses did look great, but they were insanely expensive. I vaguely remember their 2.8/300mm to be listed above CHF 20'000.-- (around 1985!). So it was a no-go. Not much later the Minolta 9000 was presented, and I immediately knew it would buy it - and not the F-1 or M6.

Only in 2010 I go my first RTS II when I was invited to search a HUGE heap of cameras. Maybe 6000 or so, a large pile of mainly point-and-shoot stuff to be scrapped ... with an occasional rare or interesting piece among them. What an experience!

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I was sorely tempted, just for the 50 Planar that came with it.
Fortunately, sanity made one of it's brief appearances, and I ended up getting something else.

Laugh 1

Doc Sharptail wrote:

As to the original question, neither. Mr. Green
I'd get a pristine chrome F2-AS and be done with it.
That is all personal taste, and nothing more...

-D.S.

Both the Nikon F2 and even more so Canon New F-1 are really nice and sophisticated SLRs. I myself prefer the New F-1 since it has a reliable hybrid shutter (mechanical 1/90 - 1/2000s, electronic 1/60 - 8s) and a much more comfortable grip for its motor drive. But most professionals back then preferred the F2/F3; they were considered "more reliable" than the Canon F-1.

But then, going back to the original questions as well: Why not a Dynax 9 ...?

S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the F-5's switches and displays survive yet on the D-810 and 850.
The power switch and front control wheel as well as the top LCD panel are still there, as is the view-finder diopter knob.
It's a good thing the cluster of "other" switches was moved to other locations.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first CONTAX camera was a Contax 167MT, the second Contax was a Contax ST, and the third model was a CONTAX RTSIII, and the fourth one, was a CONTAX AX! I've worked with these cameras as an professional Embassy photographer for 20 years, with a good row of C/Y Zeiss prime glasses, which I still pefer to use with adaptor, on my SONY cameras! The CONTAX RTSIII model with its first and only vacuum film suction system, and its black slic ceramic film pressure plate, was a world top technic on the camera market! Too bad, that the production was cancelled by KYOCERA in 2005! The production was to expensive, compared to the other camera manufacturer!