Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 1.4/85 and Canon EF 2/100 Blind test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Contax Planar 1.4/85 and Canon EF 2/100 Blind test Reply with quote

Here's a blind test for you to try.

Here you have two images:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/lens1.htm
http://www.orio.ws/temp/lens2.htm

They are both taken with the same camera, but the lenses are different.
They are both tele lenses, one is autofocus the other is manual focus.
The focal lenght is not the same, I recomposed the view to let the images have the same proportions, but the fact that one lens is slightly longer than the other creates a difference in the DOF (like you know, with the same aperture, a longer focal lens will have a shallower DOF than a shorter focal lenght.).
Anyway please make your guess and tell what you think lens A is and what you think lens B is.
Smile
And it would be interesting if you could also give a reason for your guess.

The images have NOT been sharpened, not even a minimum, so keep in mind that what you are seeing is the output from a camera through an antialiasing filter that has not been compensated for. The final images are supposed to be a little sharper than this.

Both photos were taken at f/5.6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this subject I can't make any difference,perhaps A is sharper and better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
On this subject I can't make any difference

Really? I see a lot of differences! Shocked But perhaps I am too analythical Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not tell what is MF.

But I like the first picture the most. Better shadows and sharper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add something about the shooting.
I forgot to disable the AWB (automatic white balance).
So if there were differences in the colour renditions, the camera would have zeroed them.
In this kind of tests one has to use a fixed white balance value on both images, this would let the differences in colour surface.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 is AF, 2 is manual because 1 is cold & high contrast et 2 is warm & smooth
Hum Confused what is the price Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else interested in guessing? Sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
1 is AF, 2 is manual because 1 is cold & high contrast et 2 is warm & smooth
Hum Confused what is the price Laughing

I agree with poilu...

B lens has more bokeh than A, so perhaps it's the MF. I can only guess the ones I've got experince with, so I'd vote for a 135mm 3.5 kind (a CJZ sonnar or Jupiter equivalent).

No clue for the A, but it migh be a shorter lens, maybe 85mm...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find 1 to be more analytical, and definitely sharper. The difference in boke is partly due to the DOF - with the #2 being longer focal length. #1 is MF and #2 is AF. As for make - no idea.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly couldn't tell you, I have studied them at length and I Cant say which I prefer, I would say that the foreground section of the rubber shoulder pad is better (resolution) on 1 and 1 has more contrast but 2 has more tonal range, I may prefer the bokeh on 2 slightlyas well. as for the lens I am going to stick my neck out and say 2 is russian and therefore 1 is af and Japenese. How about 2 is a jupiter 11A/37 as a stab in the dark and the 1 AF? well a canon EF maybe?

Last edited by hacksawbob on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hard to say...

No.1 is sharper and shows more details.
No.2 has a much creamier bokeh.

Thus I also would say No.1 is the AF-lens and No.2 the MF-lens.

But, to be honest, I wouldn't bet on that. It rather is a wild stab in the dark.

But what I can tell is that even people who deal with lenses a lot cannot tell the difference between a modern AF and an old MF lens. This is quite telling, isn't it.
So, help me, what was the reason again to spend hundreds of Euros for an AF lens? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I give the solution to the quiz Smile

Lens 1 is Contax Planar 1.4/85
Lens 2 is Canon EF 2/100

Comments?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. is definitely sharper and contrastier and has more of an pleasing quality.
As to what the lenses are, I haven't a clue - there's so many they could be.

<edit>
Hah, you posted the answer a minute before I posted. Nice to see I did prefer the MF Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost right then just the wrong way around!, interesting to compare like this gives an honest approach with out "baggage" of your predjudice

Last edited by hacksawbob on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
almost right then just the wrong way around, interesting to compare like this gives an honest approach with out "baggage" of your predjudice

Yes that was the most interesting part to me Smile

I am now curious to hear the "after" comments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have to do a second test with ef 2/100 and helios 40 1.4/85. My EF is too contrasty, too sharp and too cold for my taste. Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
I think I have to do a second test with ef 2/100 and helios 40 1.4/85. My EF is too contrasty, too sharp and too cold for my taste. Very Happy
Michael

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK since nobody comments for now, I'll add my own.

I think that the main difference between the two lenses is the low contrast of the Canon lens.
I don't know if any of you remembers my comments about some pictures I took with this lens in the first Sunday of the Carnival. I said that although detailed, the photos taken with the AF lens looked "flat" to me compared to my manual lenses.
I think that these two photos prove that, and the fact that many of the blind comments were made in that direction, proves I think that this was not prejudice, but a valid judgement.

In my opinion, the Zeiss lens here wins thanks to the superior T* coating.
The T* coating is the technology that Zeiss is most proud about, and I think we can see why.
The Planar photo appear more solid and dimensional compared to the Canon photo.
And it's not only a matter of macrocontrast, it also has to do with the microcontrast.
Please compare areas of the image where you have tiny details hit by the lateral sunlight. A good point is the back of the leather strap, but there are others that you can compare. The higher microcontrast in the Planar lens gives the feeling of more "relief", especially if you look at the whole picture these parts seem to "pop out" more compared to the Canon image.
This is nothing but the famous "Zeiss 3D effect". It exists, it is not a fairytale. Look at the metal rivets. The higher microcontrast makes the metal more "alive" and it makes you feel like if you could feel the beveling of the metal and the insertion into the leather. In the Canon picture, this impression is there also but it's much weaker.
Finally, the sharpness, I have seen the images after the standard sharpening and the differences are not so big, although the Planar still remains sharper. So why everyone perceived more sharpness in the Planar in these unsharpened images? Rightly because of the microcontrast. I don't know the resolvance figures of these two lenses, but I would bet that the Canon's not that much inferior to the Planar lens. But because of the flatter tones, it looks less detailed than it actually is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Orio - you're not the only swift one Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree with your analysis Orio. The "3D" effect is actually quite marked with only a few truly top of the class lenses and that Zeiss has to be one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Ok I give the solution to the quiz Smile

Lens 1 is Contax Planar 1.4/85
Lens 2 is Canon EF 2/100

Comments?

Well, the EF 2/100 is known for a very nice bokeh, perhaps that was misleading us. The fact that the Contax lens is really sharp and shows high contrast does not surprise me. Wink

Nice idea, Orio!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry I missed the quiz last night. I spent all Thursday night at the local hospital Accident & Emergency unit with a suspected broken shoulder blade. Luckily it turned out to be bruising, but it's still very painful.

Anyway, there's no way I would have got it right. I correctly worked out from the DOF that the longer focal length was No 2 and for a minute I thought it might be taken with Jupiter-21 because the lens case in the picture looks familiar (except brown v black). However, the colour and contrast are definitely not J-21 quality, so I was stuck. As for No 1 I guessed it might be one of your Oberkochen or Leica lenses, but that was as far as I got.

Nice idea Orio.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Well, I'm sorry I missed the quiz last night. I spent all Thursday night at the local hospital Accident & Emergency unit with a suspected broken shoulder blade. Luckily it turned out to be bruising, but it's still very painful.

Nice idea Orio.

I will make another blind test so you can take part.
What happened for you to end up in the hospital? I hope nothing bad. Good to know it's ok though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I will make another blind test so you can take part.
What happened for you to end up in the hospital? I hope nothing bad. Good to know it's ok though.

Thanks Orio. We are doing a lot of work at home to get ready for my son to visit with his g/f next month. They live in Sydney so this is a special time for us. At the moment the house is a construction site. I think I hurt myself lifting a heavy radiator, but I'm not certain. I didn't know about it until I began to feel pain on Thursday afternoon and by that night it was really bad in my chest and back. I couldn't lie down in bed and breathing was agony. I thought I'd probably broken a bone so we went to the hospital at 02:30 on Friday morning. They examined me and did an X-Ray but nothing was found and they said it was probably bruising and I just needed rest and plenty of painkillers! It's a lot better now, thank goodness.

Incidentally, we've booked a surprise trip to Paris for our visitors, so I'm hoping for some photo opportunities, maybe medium format but more on that later.

We're going out now to organise carpets, curtains, furniture etc!!! Back this evening. Very Happy