Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 1,4/50 AE disassembly?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Contax Planar 1,4/50 AE disassembly? Reply with quote

I tried searching but could not find anything, so there you go:

I got ahold of a Contax Planar 50/1,4 AE that needs some relubing but so far I have not been able to disassemble it. After removing the front ring and the screws that hold the focus ring I can just move the focus ring but not remove it. Its inner diameter is too small to just take it off over the front.

As you can maybe understand, this lens is not exactly a doorstopper and does have some value, so I am inclined to get some more information before proceeding to experiment and just disassemble any parts that can be disassembled.

Any advice on the disassembly? Has anyone ever serviced this lens? Is there maybe even some sort of service manual anywhere out there?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice.
I wouldn't experiment on this one. And I do fixed quite a few lenses.
Now, your chances to sell that lens here, or any other Contax 50/1.4 are close to zero.
If you are in US of A look for a thread opened by BigDawg, he praises a certain shop but I don't remember where.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's MMJ version, but hope it helps.

Overhaul of Contax Planar 1.4/50mm T* MMJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
It's MMJ version, but hope it helps.

Overhaul of Contax Planar 1.4/50mm T* MMJ

Yes, that did help indeed. I was not aware that the focusing ring and the ring to fix the focusing ring can be separated. Problem solved, thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 8310,

May I know how did you in the end manage to disassemble this lens?

I also have this particular version (AEJ I think), and I'm trying to relube the focus ring and also remove the aperture ball bearing (de-click it), but there are no screws on the back mount.

Let me know thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had some time to finish reassembling it, so that is what I did. I cannot comment on the aperture ball bearing as I only relubed the helicoid.
Some lens parts were slightly different from the MM version linked above, but apart from only having front access and having to put the rear part back on earlier when assembling, the procedure is essentially the same.